Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crew cab truck so when going alone the rods get to use the passenger seat. But if anyone is with me they feel bad when I put them in the back of the truck so I am trying this.

Military identification system
Truck, Ford, F150, 4x4, White, Crew cab, Short bed, w/folding bed cover,1 each.

Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle Car

The 2 x 6 in the bed is not part of the rod rack but fits securely in grooves in the liner. Keeps stuff stowed in the back of the bed from sliding out of reach and hitting rods.

Plant Wood Grass Bumper Automotive exterior

This is a PVC pipe with a length of rebar in it to add strength. I pushed a crumpled up plastic bag in each end of the pvc to help hold the rebar in place. Then a pool noodle is slid over the pipe. I tightened a zip tie around the noodle after measuring for proper spacing . Finally I slid a short piece of dual sided Velcro under each zip tie that will go around the rod nicely. The proper spacing can vary depending on what gear you have. The butt of the rod goes all the way to the front of the bed in this short bed truck and sets nicely in the bed liner grooves. I place the rod so an eyelet is just above the noodle to help prevent any sliding and the rods are held about an inch above the tailgate.

Hand Hood Automotive lighting Cigar Bumper

The folding bed cover had these brackets for me to attach the ends of the PVC to. You might need to come up with something different.

Wood Line Red Gas Grille

Hood Plant Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

On this truck, I can fold the bed cover back to cover the bed and the pool noodle rest fits safely under it so it does not have to be taken on and off. If it needs to come off it is as simple as clipping one zip tie and it comes right out.

Just some thoughts you may find helpful. You will need to modify it to fit your needs.
tight lines

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use it a lot but when I head down to the Ohio which is a two to three hour drive it takes good care of the gear and keeps it out of the way.

Ramon, if my private jet wasn't in getting new spark plugs,,,I'd come get you.

Registered
Yessirrrrrr, you could drop in, have a couple hefeweizens and we could go hit a few rivers in the states. Would be awesome lol
I don't use it a lot but when I head down to the Ohio which is a two to three hour drive it takes good care of the gear and keeps it out of the way.

Ramon, if my private jet wasn't in getting new spark plugs,,,I'd come get you.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don, in picture #2, with the board crossing the bed to prevent items from sliding forward, there is room for the buckets and gear. The rods are held above the buckets. The bed liner in mine has slots molded in for a 2 x 4 or 6. But for those that do not have slots, it would be easy to make a rectangular frame using 2 x 4s to prevent items from sliding forward.

Still, only an option. When I am by myself, the rods are in the passenger seat.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That does look really nice on an open bed. And wouldn't be too hard to make out of wood and PVC for those DIY guys. This way leaves plenty of room for even more gear in the bed.

I tried flaring the end of PVC so the rod handle didn't have a rough edge it could get to. With a heat gun, and a tapered neck bottle it is really easy.

Registered
Bill, in OkC
Just some thoughts you may find helpful. You will need to modify it to fit your needs.
tight lines
Looks great, Tom. If I still had my F150, I鈥檇 have to try something like that.
Only problem, my Ford only had a 5 1/2鈥 bed, so most of my rods would have to come out after each trip to the lake.
Advantage of being single with my Tahoe, only thing I HAVE to take out is bait and ice chest.
I was going to suggest something toward the front of the bed, similar to the rear, for the tail end of your rods. But that would change the angle of the tip end, probably into contact with the tailgate (not good).

I bought some 1/8鈥 elastic 鈥渞ope鈥 and spring loaded lock things from Amazon to eliminate the rubber bands on the tail ends of my rods.
Last Summer, I had to carry a bag of band in the Tahoe, 鈥榗ause every time I took them down I would either lose or break at least one.
I think the new stuff is going to work better.

Registered
Bill, in OkC
The elastic cord works. I鈥檒l edit this post with a picture later today, since I might make a trip to the lake to see if I can get a hook into a few fish.
The way I ended up doing it, I made a loop with the slide lock things and ran the rod that my fishing rods rest on. When I put the rods in, I take a loop over the end and tighten it up. So far, it works.
I put them on this way to keep from losing them when I take a rod or three out to fish with.

Reactions: twaskom and ramon06
1 - 14 of 14 Posts