Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good garage rod reel combo storage rack system. First what kind of rods I am trying to store.
1…. Need a vertical rack only.
3….I have About 7 big Garcia 5500cs and 6500cs bait casters on bigger catfish / salmon type rods.
3….I have about 12 old spincast rod / combos with Shakespeare 1795 , 1799 , Johnson 100B reels on 6 foot medium weight rods.
4…I have about 6 medium to big open face spinning Reel / Rod combos. Couple are on big 10 -12 foot ocean Okuma rods
So a mixed bag on the 25 combo’s. I don’t think I want a stand along rack like the ones that have a big dial on the bottom. Don’t think I they would hold up to the weight even if I bought 2 of them. I really have to much stuff for a guy that plans on retiring in a few years and might and mean might go the 5th wheel retirement route. That will be another question soon for you readers. Ha ha ha. Anyway what vertical rod/reel combo racks would you recommend ? thanks. Marty

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
I would say to get PVC with connectors and make your own. Just takes a little measuring. Or you could go to the next option and then move them around as needed. Milk crate, PVC (you can flare yourself) wood, hole saw. zip-ties and screws.

Your move.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow very nice set up. i never thought of that. Great idea and great pictures for us old guys that are not computer Wizz bangs. thanks MD.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
Haha, One old geezer to another. I have found that once a lot of those rambunctious brain cells died off I am much better at focusing. lol

Oh and the milk crate doesn't have to have the wood. by drilling some holes you can put a zip tie at the top and bottom of each PVC. !-1/4 inch work well but rods with the large butt knob will need 1-1/2 inch.

Me,,,,I usually just take a belt sander and smooth the butt knob out some.

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
Y’all are fancy! I screwed two orange Home Depot 5 gallon buckets to the wall, and made a couple of loops of 550 noose knots at different heights. I don’t store my reels on the rods, but if I do for a few days, they just ride the lip of the bucket.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
I attach the two pieces of my (2 piece) rods together also. You cord seems to work fine but I found I could get double sided velcro at the home improvement stores in small roles. Loops on one side and hooks on the other. I just wrap a length around the rod at each end and it holds it securely.

tight lines

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
I attach the two pieces of my (2 piece) rods together also. You cord seems to work fine but I found I could get double sided velcro at the home improvement stores in small roles. Loops on one side and hooks on the other. I just wrap a length around the rod at each end and it holds it securely.

View attachment 325147

View attachment 325148

tight lines
Your method is better than mine, no question. I just made what I had work to stop dealing with the worlds worst game of Tetris.

·
Registered
647 Posts

View attachment 325147

View attachment 325148

tight lines

Thanks Tom! I need to get me a few rolls of that.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
Thanks Tom! I need to get me a few rolls of that.
There are several versions of velcro out there Weezy. Some has hooks on one piece and loops on the other. Some has a sticky backing. Those usually come in short strips. Be sure to get the roll that has hooks on one side and loops on the other so it goes around and attaches back to itself. I have found it at Walmart and Lowes in the past.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts