Rod Storage on Boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by GMC FishHauler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    How do u guys store your rods on your boats?
    I personally do not liek the "gun Rack" style but it seems to be the best choice for my boat. I plan on using this style along with some upright rod holders mounted beside the center console to hold all the rods i take.
    We usually take around 10-12 rods when fishing these tournaments so heres the products i am thinking of trying.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_15186_200005001_200000000_200005000_200-5-1
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._104702_200005001_200000000_200005000_200-5-1

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I use both of those and have used the stand up holders in several boats and like them. The lay down (gun rack) style all depend on where they are (I hit mine with my knees while fighting a fish sometimes) and getting them positioned so the weight of the reel doesn't tip the front of the rod out of the front holder. I am probably going to add some additional straps to help keep the rods in place petter. Something like a bungee style rod strap.
    The lay down holders are nice when you are setting up to fish. They are out of the way while casting. The stand up ones can sometime put rodes in the way when casting.:eek:oooh::big_smile:

I hope this helps,
    David

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i was thinking the same way on the upright rod holders, so i was gonna put the rods that r gonna be in use in those. I planed on keeping the "backups" in the gun racks.
    that way i can keep 4 rods on each side in the racks and 3 uprights on each side in the "pipes"

4. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Do you have enough floor room for a long rod box? Seaark makes them in 6-8 foot versions that are angled on the back side to fit against the wall. They aren't cheap, but they are well built, lockable, and double as a bench seat

Heres a pic of the back end of mine

5. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Lets try that again

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My preference is for the upright holders. But I'm to cheap to pay the money they want for them. So,I make mine out of 1 1/4" PVC Pipe. Cut them at 9 inches, drill holds in each end and bolt the puppies to two pieces of angle iron. Works real good, in my opinion. Im just getting over the flu so my eyes aren't seeing straight. The first photo is a jug pod which fits in the pole holder. I made eight holders and mounted them on the gunwales... sort of out of the way.

Attached Files:

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    GMC, I've got 2 of the upright holders, one mounted to each side. And being somewhat tight, I made additional ones to go across the back out of 1 1/2" PVC. I drilled a hole in one side that would allow for a driver bit to go in, then using hex head screws, mounted them to the 2X6 that is across the back. I think I'm going to add other ones on the back and I'll route out a slot for the spinning reel to slide down into, similar to the manufactured ones. I like to ones across the back better that the ones on the side, cause I find myself having to move at least one rod to crawl over the side of the boat when it's sitting on the trailer and I forgot something in the boat that I can't reach.

Attached Files:

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We use the boat buckle dont like them to much. That one looks like it might be better.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I USE THE STAND UP ROD HOLDERS :wink:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  11. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Personally I don't like the gun rack style but I do use a combo of standup and laydown rod holder in my boat. For rods that are "in use" during a particular trip I keep them in the standup holders. They are positioned around mid ship just behind the front stick steer seat w/ enough room in between as to no be knocking into them while in the seat or casting from the front deck. Also enough room for the guy in the back to not hit them while casting. On the sides of the boat I have the lay down style w/ foam inserts. The rods fit tight in these and are out of the way. I always use these while trailering and launch/loading the boat as to not have them catch on anything like overhanging limbs and such(common on alot of river ramps here).

Matt