Rod setup help

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by slimer1, Mar 30, 2008.

1. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm new to lake and river catfish rod and reel fishing. My rods are medium to heavy action with medium sized open face spinning reels. I'm trying to figure out what size line to use on these middle weight setups. Also whether to use a braided line with mono leaders and which hooks. Like I said I know very little and am looking for the best advice.Line- weight,type, Leader- lengths and how to set them up, Weight- how much and kinds. Wanna try what I have now and see how I like it before I upgrade to larger rod and reel combo's. Thanks sorry to ask so much.

2. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    the optimum line size for the reel is usually printed on the reel. The line size will vary on the length of rod you use, type of reel, and your target size fish. i use 15-30 lb green mono. i use the green because the visibility. if you use a black light for lighting it glows in the dark very well. if you shine a flashlight on it it shows uup very good also. I am no expert but from my experience if your line balls up when casting your openface , the line is too thick go to a smaller line. I have caught fish larger than 40 pounds on 15 lb test line. I feel that the secret is in the length of the pole. the longer the better. longer poles give you better casting distance and much more leverage. hope this helps. if i am wrong there some experts on here that can steer you in the right direction. good luck.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 30 pound Trilene big game line it works great for me

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    30-40 pound mono will do on the reel. For leaders I like 65-80 pound mono... The length of the leader is different depending on the situation.

5. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys for all your help.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Crazy who are you using for you leaders, Ande?

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I would start out with 20lb. mono If you fish current you will need no roll sinkers and match the hook with the size bait you use. A lot of guys will tell you need this and that but don't go overboard. Catfishing is easy and fun. :wink:

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    If you have medium sized reels and medium strength rods then I'd go with 20lb mono max. You'll get a better cast with less pound test, plus if you utilize your drag you won't have to worry about snapping 20lb test - its pretty tough stuff - just don't hoss a hawg. As for what types of weight to use, different situations call for different rigs. Say you're fishing a lake and you don't have to worry about current, a two ounce egg sinker should cast off pretty far and hold the bait down pretty good. Just pop it on the line, tie your barrel swivel on, then make a leader. You can use this in the river too but use heavier weight for current and maybe pop on a flat, no roll sinker. There are many other river rigs that you can find in the library.

9. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    You asked about lake and river fishing. You will find there is a big difference between the two and both require different things. You will probally have to ask about each one to get the best advise. For example the 20lb line comment is true if you are fishing a lake for channel cats and smaller blues. However i mainly fish the Missouri River and i learned the hard way that 20lb is not enough, even with a good drag, and a good rod. Of coarse i was using big bait and after big blues which also is kind of in a league of it's own. Anyway be specific with your questions and the brothers here will steer you in the right direction for sure.