rod selection

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by channelcathunter64, Nov 25, 2007.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    since i decided to persue bigger cat i found one of my dads old reels, a penn 209 level wind. i put fresh line on it but the rod it was attached to wasnt in good shape and it was a spinning rod not a casting rod.so i need help on a good rod to put it on. i will be bank fishing, if that helps any

2. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    I just put the same reel on a 10ft. berkley glowstick.........I'm hoping this will be an ok set up.............

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Depends on what kind of water are you going to fish? Check out catfish safari rods. From 7 foot to 8 foot rods.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I agree with Crazy checkout the catfishsafari rods, I'm hearing alot of good things about them, as a matter of fact I have a lake rod on order now.

5. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I dont know anything about the Safari rods but I do know the Cattmaxx from Bass Pro are good rods and comes in a variety of lengths.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if youre fishing a river youre gonna need a stiffer rod than fishing a lake otherwise the current will be bouncing your rod alot and it will be harder to tell a bite. youll get some better recomendations with more details ex. line size water fished size of target fish avg sinker size bait used....... their are alot of rod choices the saltwater section is a good place to look for heaver gear for big cats.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    and I agree with both of them a Catfish Safari river rod would be a great choice.

you can get them Here http://www.shop.catfishsafari.com/main.sc

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A good high quality Medium Heavy action rod is what I use religously, anywhere from 8 to 10 ft