Rod selection

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by NE_Arki, Feb 17, 2009.

1. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    First off I'd like to thank you all for all the infomation provided. This is a great fourm and very helpful. Now to my question, I fish mostly on the st francis around Marked tree. Im looking to buy a few new rods we fish mostly around the siphons where there is not a real swift current but you can indeed hook into a big fish. Im looking at buying a 7' 1/2 hevy action ugly stick. Would this rod be your choice or would you choose something else? One reason im looking at this rod is it would not just over power the smaller fish and still handle a large fish.

2. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jesse welcome to the BOC. I havea 7' med heavy ugly stick catfish edition. Its a great rod with alot of backbone and really sensitive too. You can't go wrong with an uglystik

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jesse Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. For all around catfishing that heavy action rod might be a litle stiff when fishing for channels. I would look at a M/H. You will have tip action and backbone.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jesse, welcome to the B.O.C. All most of my gear come from wal-mart, I use uglysticks mediam heavy rods from wally world. I get my hooks from another place and some of my line.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i have 2 ugly sticks one is MH and the other is heavy. i have to agree with mickey the heavy action is mighty stiff.

6. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks boys I was looking at the mh they seem like a good rod, havn't been able to find a H to even get a feel for. Saw that there was several "catfish rods" out there for about the same price but I think ill stick with the ugly stick. On another note anyone been out fishing? Doing any good?

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i said that i have an ugly stick but it is the powerod that i have. $22 at catfish connection and it is one fine rod. it is a 7 ft one piece rod with blank through handle and for the price u cant beat it.

8. cyclopsdrew

cyclopsdrew New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I went wed. Caught three drum 5~10 and one 8. Lb blue.I personally use a 10ft spin. Cat maxx. From bass pro its a mh and its not a blank its filled through. Cork handles I've caught several 20~30 no problem. It has good sensitivity and plenty backbone bout 65 at bass pro

9. NE_Arki

NE_Arki New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well bought 2 Berkley big game 6'6'' for 22.00

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have 4 Catfish Ugly sticks, 3 baitcaster and 1 spinning. All 7 foot MH action. They are great rods. I will say this, if you don't mind spending a little more money, the rods from Team Catfish are the best I have ever used. I fished with Jeff Williams of Team Catifsh back in December and used Team Catfish rods all day. The first thing I noticed was how light there were. Most of the blue cats I caught were mainly on the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton models. These are 7 foot and 7 1/2 foot rods. I will own several before spring. I think A-Z north of Alma has these rods as they have secret 7, so they might have rods too.
    Again, I like the Shakespeare ugly sticks I have and will use them forever, but will purchase Team Catfish rods next time I buy rods,...which will be soon.
    hope this helps.
    ccat

11. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have two of the Ugly Stik Catfish 7' MH rods with Catmaxx baitcasters. I've had great luck with them. They seem to be sensitive enough to hook up with smaller fish, while still having plenty of backbone for the bigger ones. IMHO, you really can't go wrong with Ugly Stiks