Rod repair - Need help please

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by katcatchingfool, Apr 3, 2007.

1. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i didnt know where to post this and i hope someone can help me i bought a new Quantam BigCat profesional series and the rod fell apart it came unglued where the real seat and the cork handle meet. Im not knocking the rod i love the rod i was just wondering if someone could tell me how to or what to use to glue it back together any info would be great i will post some pic's to show you what im talking about thanks

Attached Files:

2. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    i added one more pic

Attached Files:

3. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    can probably use some kind of epoxy you can find locally. You don't necessarily need to you an instant set epoxy. You might use Gorilla polyurethane glue (one part glue). Call the rod manufacturer and see what they suggest. If you do use Gorilla glue be careful and don't use too much. It cures with moisture and is waterproof, but it foams and fills voids while setting and could seep out if you use too much. You'd have to keep the handle clamped in till the glue set up. An ordinary epoxy will be more forgiving and will have a longer set time. Rough up the portion of the handle that goes into the rod so the glue will have some texture to bond to. If some glue did ooze out you could wipe it off with paint thinner or alcohol. Chances are you will wind up using a better glue than was used when the rod was built. Good luck. Remember, measure twice, cut once. Or something like that.

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I had an old Lew-Fuji rod that came apart and I stuck it back together with JB Weld, that was 12 years ago and its still holdin good.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well i must say i am a liittle disappointed to see they dont have a blank through handle i guess for the price you cant expect everything.Well at least i have my tiger , confidece in your gear plays a major role fighting big fish.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Try a two-part epoxy. That oughtta do it permananty. Good luck!

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Elmers glue. lol

I would go with Gorilla also, that is strong stuff right there.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jason find a 5 min. epoxy and mix it really good and put it on after you clean all the old stuff off and use some acetone on it. Let it set for 24 hours before you use it.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Those type of joints are generally done with epoxy. Personally, I would not use the 5 minute type, I'd get "2 ton epoxy." It is much stronger and longer lasting than 5 minute, plus the longer cure time is probably a good thing under the circumstances. Just make sure that everything is lined up and held fully inserted while it cures, so it can't slip out of position while you're not looking. You might just be able to tape it together tightly while it cures and then take the tape off after. (Just make sure there's no epoxy overrun that the tape can get stuck in or the whole thing will look a mess in the end.)

I'm a bit disapointed in the rod's construction, though. When I have built rods, the blank goes all of the way through the end of the handle. This is also true of most production rods. I guess they saved some money by only running the blank those few inches into the handle assembly.

10. katcatchingfool

State:
    illinois
    thanks guys for all the advise i took the pole to a local tackle shop and they replaced it for free thanks again

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    If i had not gotten it replaced I would prolly floow the advice from the guy that is a rod builder, chances are he may know a couple of things about fixing a rod, if he doesn't he won't be in business for too much longer.