Rod Repair Help

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by SWeiss, Jul 29, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not I understand if the mods want to move it. Thanks!

I have an Eagle Claw 6'6" bait casting rod with a cork handle. I haven't used it in years. This evening when I went to change out the line on the reel, I noticed that the rod spins inside the reel seat. In other words if I hold the reel in one hand, I can spin the entire rod with the other. Everything moves as one, including the grip and the blank.

Has anyone ever managed to repair a rod in a situation like this? If so, how does one take everything apart?

Thanks!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I also looked in the member library but founding nothing that could help.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    strip the rod and rebuild it. :wink:

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That's what I was afraid of! :smile2: Been searching on the internet and the only fix I found was to do just that. Apparently the epoxy that holds the reel seat on has failed. After 22 years it was bound to happen. My father bought this setup for me, and it cost $110 then. I think he got hosed! :smile2:

Well I "engineered" it for now. I applied some hot glue where the reel seat and the fore grip meet and let it run down in as best I could. It's holding for now but it will no doubt fail again. I cleaned it up, re-spooled the reel and it's ready to go.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009