Rod/Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by aggie2305, Mar 18, 2007.

1. aggie2305

aggie2305 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was looking to buy a good rod/reel combo for catfishing. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a brand. I only fish for channel cats, but I need something that can hold a 20 lb fish with no problem. I have some old rods, but I am looking to get something newer that is inexpensive, but wont break down when the big ones bite. Also, some good string to put on it.

Thanks

2. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Well Steve, it really depends on your idea of inexpensive. I prefer Abu Garcia 5000 reels on ugly stix rods with 20 pound trilene line. Once you buy a rig like this it should last you for years to come.

3. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Steve
    My buddy and I have used Shapespeare Tiger Rod & Reel Combos. We fish the Missouri river alot! Biggest cat caught on these combos is a 55 lb blue, numerous in the 30 to 40 lb range. I Don't Know if these would be too heavy for your type of fishing. I don't think you said what type of waters you fish. These are the $19.99 catfish specials at Wal-Mart. Comes spooled with 20lb test. (We always re-spool with the same - 20lb test. Never know how long that string been on there) These reels have a good drag system on them. They come in 2 versions 1) 7ft rod closed face reel (We use these) 2) 7 1/2 ft rod with a spinning reel. The close faced reels have a bait click on them - We always use it! Have lost a rod or two on the past. If your on a budget ...I hope this helps.

4. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    i would agree with steve. i prefer 40 pound p line.

5. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know if the closed faced rods that we use would hold the 40 lb test or not. I am pretty sure that the open face reel could hold 40 lb braided test line though. We have only had 1 fish break the 20 lb test mono from Bass Pro Shops (Excel). It has very good ratings (on their web site) and I can attest this stuff is great for the price! It is very strong - make sure you wrap your hands or arm with a towel if you try to break this stuff! Catolog price is 10.99 for 20-30lb test at 900 yards, but buy 2 and get it 7.99 each. Again its really a matter of preference, we fish near the rock dikes alot and do not fish in heavy cover all that much. These rod and reel combos have seen 3 years worth of fishing (about 70 outings) and have never had a bit of problems out of them. The excel string we normally change twice a year, one at the start of the season. (Already done....just waiting for the prop to come back from the shop, to go out!) Then again about July. The string seems to get memory about then, but for the price you can afford to restring a couple of times a year.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Berkley Fusion combo is sold at Wal-Mart for $24.99 here. It's great for channel catfish. I spool mine with 150 yrds of Vicious Ultimate 30#. I got two of them and love 'em.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A good Abu 5000, or 5600 would work.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    berkly big game rod,shakespear alpha reel,and 25 lb.biggame line.cheep but works good on fish up to 23lb.at least thats as big as iv cought on mine.for big cats 16 ft.custom rod 209 peen reel 50 lb.big game line.set drag right you can land a world record.

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    can't go wrong with an abu 6000.they have em at the local walmart on 7 foot berkley lightning rod for about 75 bucks,and they will handle some big fish.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Steve.Some old advice that I found to be very true throughout my lifetime.Whether you are a new fisherman,new to a area or going for something different in a area that you have fished all of your life.Look,ask around and learn from the people who are successful at what you want to learn.There are so many types of water and conditions where you could fish for your target size and species.I once caught a 20+ lb.Striper right below the dam in the Santee River on a 202 Zebco.Why did that fish repeatedly turn around every time I was at the end of my line? I once fought or followed in a boat,a huge Stingray from before dark to after daylight off the GA.coast.I had 12 lb.line.It finely decided to broach beside the boat in shallow water and give me a look.It looked to be 6 foot wide.Why didn;t it hang me up,break the line or just stay down?I could not force it to the surface.I have been unable to get Bluegill out of a bad brush pile with a Zebco 808 and 20 lb.line.I once fished with 5 pounds of weight to get down to 5 to 20 lb.fish in extremely swift salt water.They used heavy gear for this.Success and failure with all types and rigs for many different reasons.I am 61.A Zebco 33 would have handled 99% of the fish I have caught in my life.I have no idea what it would have took for a few that never even slowed down with heavy gear and 80 lb.line until my reel was empty and they were gone.This is why fishing conditions where you will fish mean as much as the species and size.Also,what is subject to bite.A up to 500 lb.Bull Shark is the suspect on my 80 lb.spoolings while fishing for Blue Cats in tidewater.Yet,8-10 lb Cats were the largest I ever remember boating and the 80 lb.spoolings were years apart along with some 50 lb.Luck.Remember!If you do not enjoy using your gear,you want enjoy fishing.You,and you alone are the bottom line.It does not matter what the rest of us fishermen say or think as long as you are happy.Most outgrow "peer pressure'.Some never do.These few are seldom happy.Most of us would wear pink lacy underwear if it would catch fish and no one would know.Some of us would not care who knew or what they thought as long as it catches fish.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I'd go with a ambassadeur 6500c3 or Penn 310 on a White Catfish Ugly Stick, Medium Tiger Ugly or Lite Tiger Ugly Stick. I personnally use a 7000c3 on a Medium Tiger Ugly Stick--works great.

12. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright, I'll throw my two cents in....Simply put, ya get what ya pay for. If ya don't pay much for your gear, you won't get much. With that said(from a guy on a budget), spend a little for an Ugly Stick of some kind. Any UglyStick will do what your looking to do as long as you don't buy a light-action. Reels are a different story---sort-of. You can get away with spending less money for a reel that will handle your tasks if you put that money into a spinning reel. A baitcaster that is cheaply engineered or cheaply thrown together will only cause you grief. On the flip-side, a GOOD baitcaster will last you a lifetime if properly cared for. So, how long do ya plan on using your stuff?
    Myself, even though I'm on a budget, I won't go looking for a new pair of rods-n-reels without at least 120 bucks to spend. If I don't have that, I'll just keep saving.

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A Shakespeare Uglystick Catfish and a Shakespeare Tidewater baitcaster, under $75.00, can be had at Walmart, cant beat it for the money.:cool2: