Rod & Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fishinpolak, Mar 7, 2007.

1. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey guys i am wanting to get a good combo for flathead fishing. Any reconmendations? Should i get a spinning reel or baitcasting reel? Then what kind or rod should i get? Thanks guys u guys have been really helpful :)

2. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey matt welcome to the boc alot of great guys in AZ you'll have a good time here

if your planing on a baitcaster id get a ugly stix tiger get the heavyest ya can get med-hvy think its 30lb to 60lb get the one without the inserts, should get one at wallmart for 62$ and for a reel get a abu garcia 7000c3 make sure its the 2007 model catfish connetion should have them for about 130$ this would be a set up you cant go wrong on

dude and when your ready for some flat fishn head out to the river for our AZ - CA gathering during the 1st weekend of May

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt Welcome to the BOC. I would Ditto this post. 7000c3 and Ugly Stick Tiger. Will last you a lifetime. Good Investiment.:lol:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn, you must be a Pollock to ask a question like that on this board. There is over 10,000 members and each has his/her opinion. I'd say that unless your gonna fish one of the big rivers, you probably are not going to catch anything over 50 lbs... any abu will handle that as well as a 19.99 wal-mart Berkley rod. Of course you can go high dollar, thats your option - but why?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Geesh! What a way to welcome a new member.:confused2:
    Anyways,,,
    Welcome to the BOC Matt! Good to have you aboard.You've got some good advice so far.

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    it kind of depends what you want to spend- abu garcia 7000 or 6500 c3 baitcasting reels are the best of the best and should last a life time.
    ugly stick Tiger rods are hard to beat.My advice-spend the money on your reel,if you buy a cheaper rod you can upgrade later.Walmart sells berkely big game rods for 20 bucks and they should work fine.

7. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    If you want a baitcasting get the ugly stick tiger, or the bass pro shops cat maxx, last years model of the cat maxx is i think 25 dollars, for a reel, id use a penn 309, but i use mostly spinning, so for spinning id still get the cat maxx, the spinning style rod is also about 25 dollars, for a reel id use http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse
    Ive never used this reel, but for the price, im going to get one just to test it, it seems alright

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I know Lawrence is only joking!! the best rod/reel is the one in your price range look for a length andaction you feel comfy with add a reel and try your luck .You can allways upgrade later and I'm sure you will!!!

9. fishinpolak

fishinpolak New Member

State:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hey thanks for all the great info guys. I know what im gonna get now. Hope to see u guys on the water

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I would recommend also the PENN 320 GT2 it sells a little cheaper than the Ambassadeur 7000c3 and I have been told that the drag is a little better than the Ambassadeur. I have 2 of each and still like my 7000c3's better because they are great for tossing, I have the MH Ugly Stick TIGER at home also and it's a great rod. I've also heard that the Catmax Rod is quite good, BASS PRO has them on sale now for 24.88 each.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Matt. I would remend a Abu 6000 or 6500 combo.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, what's wrong with us Pollocks on here? LMAO! Ya gotta have someone to laugh at in the down season don't ya?:lol:

13. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to the boc i would recomend a abu garcia 6500 paired up with a ugly stick tiger it will be a good investment and last a lifetime

14. anlogk8

anlogk8 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As for the type of rod, you need to get what feels good to you, but you can't beet the 7000 c3. I recently bought two from catfish connection and plan on buying more.