Rod/Reel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by jerryb, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm posting here instead of in the Equipment section cuz I'd like to tailor my rig for the Ohio area... might not make any difference, but still... feel free to move it if necessary - my feelings won't be hurt.. :)

Anyway, looking for suggestions/comments on a decent rod/reel combo. I'm targeting channels in the 15# or less range (for eating), but don't wanna be afraid to hook up with something with a bit more umph! to it (like a real flattie!)... I'm mainly lake fishing from the bank, so need something with that'll cast pretty decently...

Right now I'm looking at possibly an Abu 6000 with a catfish safari M/H rod... is this overkill? Does anyone have any suggestions on another setup?

Of course, I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible since I'm new to this and would have to be able to justify any expenditures to my accountant (the wife, of course)...

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bankfishing lakes, one pole with the capability to catch channels and flats, at a low or med. cost.. i prefer spinning outfits for banking on lakes, However i use abus as well... i would say try a 10ft. med/hev. action 2-piece rod like the "whoopin stick" low in cost, and its a decent rod from cabelas with many different sizes and actions to choose from. and maybe a shimano baitrunner spinning reel. allows for long casting, has a fighting drag, but also a bait clicker seperate that is adjustable in tension as well. i have the 4500 series. prob. looking at 150 $ max! and you would have a great outfit for targeting both. don't be afraid to fish that 6000 though! on the same long spinning rod.. i did for years, and it would cast a mile and was good for both species from the bank.. hope this helps...rollo

3. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, Rollo - I'll take a look at 'em... sounds like it's pretty much what I'm lookin' for...

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would go with the abu 6500 c3 but if your worried about getting a big flattie you might go to a abu 7000 with a m/h action rod.

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hi Jerry,

One rod that I would encourage you take a look at is the Offshore Angler Offshore Extreme Jig Stick's. These have sticks have found a special place in my heart when I am fishing water that doesn't require ultra distance casting, but still benefit from being able to fish in close, while casting to moderately long range. In other words they are great for "average" to longer than average casting for bank fishing...
    The real "kicker" with them are the adjustable reel seats... you can move the reel seat to what ever distance that best suits you. One rod, I cut the reel seat off completely and use the rod clamp with my avet reels, or coasters... my preference.

The action is firm but through (it is a jig stick after all), and about $20 more than the one your considering. I think you'd be happy with it's performance for the fish/fishing you've described.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    jason's has a good sugestion 6000 on a 9' whuppin stick is a good combo on the cheep. cabelas also has a king kat rod that is white with about the same action for a few less bucks. their are alot of other options but for a cheep rod theise are nice.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The Abu 6000 and a 8 or 9 foot rod will work if you have room to throw it. I own a Abu 6000 its a good reel I have it mounted on a 7' foot Berkley Big Game MH Rod its 2 pc.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Stick with the Catfish Safari rod The other rods mentioned are by far inferior quailty (except possibly the jig stick, but that might be too much rod and make smaller channels no fun)

Steve does make a Channel Cat Rod, that would probibly be perfect for Your needs. I went drifting with Steve Yesterday and He caught a 15 lb blue cat on one of the Channel Cat rods and it handled it just fine and is plenty capable of handleing larger fish then the one He caught.

Fishing is a lot more fun when You get good quality equipment that you don't have to replace or worry about all the time!

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    9 ft Catmaxx in case you have to cast around trees, and a 6000 model ABU would be a great choice. I have 2 6600 that I like reel well.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Jerry not sure if you have a Boaters World around you. But they had a nice Penn Combo on sale for $100 I believe the reel alone normally retails alone for $120.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Jerry,
    Also being a bankfisher in Ohio, I use an Okuma combo. The one in my avatar is a 10' two-piece MH rod. It's a Fin Chaser spinning combo and sells for around $35.00. Great casting distances (of course with good line) and very suiteable for channels. It also able to handle the bigger ones like in the picture if the need arises. The rod is sensitive enough to see a very light bite.

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks... I'll be checking Boater's World out, too.... right now I'm tryin' to get all the info I can, so I can start dropping Christmas hints.. :wink:

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now you all have done it. I'm going to get two new setups, instead of just the one. The wife is going to want to talk to each and every one of you!

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Okuma combo now from Catfish Connection for my first setup...

For the other, I've pretty much decided on the abu 6000 series.. still debating the pole...but like I said, this one is for my "Christmas wish list", so there's still a little time...

Wanna thank everyone for your input!

14. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry

I talked to Steve Brown from CFS for awhile before I ordered my rod from him. Before that, I was going to get an Ugly Stick Pro, but it wasn't what I really wanted. So I gave up the extra $20 and ordered the Med Action Channel rod for my 6500.

I target eating sized cats, like you from Rend Lake and even smaller ponds and creeks. But I don't think the 6000 series is overkill on these sized cats. I like the extra line capacity for either 12 or 14 pound test mono. You can always use a lighter leader or braided line leader for a more "soft" presentation of the bait if you need to.

Also, thanks to you and neocats for the suggestion on the Okuma combos! I needed a gift for a buddy that fishes with me! Might even pick one up for myself, but I like a meduim action rod though. Pretty colors!

Jerry

15. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    Jerry, I have a Garcia 6000 reel, and I fish from a boat mainly I think for the money you can't beat this reel. The 6000 cast real good, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it from the bank at all. Rods I would go with catfish safari rod, or maybe a catfish uglystick. The Uglystick can be purchased for about 30 dollars at Wal-mart. I know some on here don't like them, but I have had no trouble with mine at all.

16. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, guys! I'm definitely leaning waaaaaay over to the lake or channel poles from Steve... I've got a few questions in to him now about 'em...

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Tell the wife we are trying to help you out so you don't wind up getting the wrong thing. Then have to go buy the right equipment later on.... You think it will work........LOL....:beat_brick:

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jerry I must warn you know.....PREPARE THYSELF ......IT will not stop here your sickness is giong to grow into a very big MONSTER with jaws and teeth.........YOUR LOOKING AND IT IS ALL OVER BUT THE CRYIN!
    By the way buddy I am real sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no savin you know:0a17::0a17::0a23:

19. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great....

Sounds like I'm gonna have to fluff up the cushions on the couch then... I may be spending a lot of time there!

:wink:

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hope your couch isnt like mine....this thing we have the dog don't even like:big_smile_2: