Rod/Reel/Sinker/Bream = Instant Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by brushpile, May 24, 2006.

1. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I guess a hook would be helpful also!

I am looking for a little help. I am planning on trying to catch my first flathead on a rod/reeel. I would like to see if anyone could help me out with a picture, drawing or a very detailed description of how to rig a pole for flathead fishing with a bream.

My plan is to use one of my Heavy Bass Rods and Reels for a while before investing money into a dedicated catfish rig. I feel like a might have an idea of where to find a few flathead areas in my local river.

If someone could post a picture of what a flathead rig looks like, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be fishing from a boat.

Thanks,

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recommend the carolina rig i use a no roll sinker 3-5 oz then a 2/0 barrell swivle then 18-36 in leader then 10/0 king kahale our sponsor catfish connrction carries then fot cheap then i scale the brim with a spoon and hook him in the tale i hope this helps u can use this setup in river or lake just change weight size

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    look at thread: flathead fishing rigs by cherokee laker, i posted a pic of the plain old slip rig i use all the time. as long as you have enough lead to keep the gill in place and big enough hook for size bait you use youll be ok. not enough lead and they tangle you into the snaggs. too small a hook n you miss the hookset.

very important!!!!! never leave pole un attended and spool egaged,unless you dont want yer pole anymore! lmao

4. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the help....that will get her done!

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
  6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    The bead protects you knot from your sinker.

These pics are from an earlier post that Dh made.