rod & reel reccomendations for my wife

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bodach, Jul 28, 2009.

1. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Hi my wife and I are getting new rods we have decided on the glowrods I have read that alot of you prefer other rods but we got to try casting one the other night that a guy next to us had and we liked it and the fact that we wouldn't have to keep buying the little glow things we put on the end of our rod also while we love the pics of the HUGE fish a lot of you catch we probably wont be getting fish of that caliber. But any way my wife is 5'2 105# alot of people seem to like a rod 7' to 9' she is concerned that that will be too much rod for her to use well. OK now to the reel all she had used before was spin cast she caught a 6# channel nite before last and her cheap reel barely got it in so she wants to try a bait cast or spinning reel. Do any of the ladies or guys on here have any input for her. thank you.

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    depends on how much $$$ you are wanting to spend but wally world has some spincasting rod and reels combo or try like gander mtn and or dicks is either one is close to you

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How much do you want to spend?

4. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well my fiance and I setups are the same, and she's like 5 foot nothing, and I'm a tad over 6 ft. But we use ugly stick 6'6" med-heavy rods, with mitchell advocate II s4000 spinning reels. And she handles it just fine. As for reliability, nothing has broke and I've hauled in a 51 pound flat and 34 pound channel on it and it seems like they just broke the reel in lol. I believe the rods were like 35$ each and reels maybe 40$. That's just my input, but a very nice setup for 100$.

5. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    There are many options and yes, it depends on how much you are willing to spend. Remember the more you spend is better quality to an extent but a good size spinning reel would do the trick if your wife is familiar with them and never really has had hands on experience with bait casting reels. Just my point of view cuz my wife hates bait casting reels. Good luck

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is the rod a spining rod, or a csting rod? that would dictate the typw of reel to get.

A spinning rod has a large 1st guide, the one close to the reel, a casting rod has a small 1st guide.

7. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Thanks for the input so far we are looking to spend up to $75 or so I have been letting her use one of my spinning rods and she has been doing ok with it but she is second gen Irish and has that Irish temper:angry: so I'm trying to keep the frustration factor down :big_smile:. We found 7' glow rods at wally world for $45 with a spinning reel that we were thinking about getting. The thing is I want her to have a rod that will handle 20 to 30# fish which is about the largest fish I think we will probably be getting. also is it not good to use a bait cast on a spinning rod? Again I thank you all for the input.