Rod/Reel/Line everyone is using ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by anakin, Jun 30, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Ive been using a 1 piece 7' mh action ugly cat with a 6500 cl3 with 50 # gorilla wire braided line.

Just got done ordering his & hers (lol) penn 310 gti's & 1 piece 7' m action ugly tigers for fishergirl & I.

Ps. We're headed to the salt diversion dam for the weekend of the 8th for about 3 nites wish us luck !

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I use 6500 Bait runners. One on a 7ft Med Hvy Big Cat Ugly stick. The other goes on a 9ft generic Med Hvy rod. Sure can cast that 9 footer a long way...LOL Good Luck on your trip. With any luck that weekend, I will be on Bartlett. I am skipping this crazy weekend.

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's about to change, but currently:

Shimano Baitrunner 6500 on a 15' MH Ugly Stik with 80# Power Pro
    Shimano Baitrunner 4500 on a 9' MH Berkley Big Game with 65# Power Pro.

As soon as my rod order comes in:
    Shimano Baitrunner 6500 on 12' H Ugly Stik with 80# Power Pro
    Shimano Baitrunner 4500 on 15' MH Ugly Stik with 65# Power Pro
    and MH Shakespear Alpha on the 9' MH Berkley Big Game with 65# Power Pro. This rod and reel will be readily available for anyone joining me fishing and if I find a likely new catfisher it will probably be a gift to get them started. It has stood me in good stead for a while, but I have moved on.

Looking back I wish I had gotten another 6500. The baitclicker on the 4500 is much stiffer than on the 6500 and the fish feel it and give up.

4. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    some australian 5000 series baitrunner , 7ft ugly stik tiger , 50# power pro

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Ambasaders, Baitrunners, And a few European baitrunner reals. The spinning reels are all on Uglysticks..

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    For me I use both level and spinning reel.
    401 Calcuta left hand retrieve is my newest on a 9' Fenwick downrigger rod.
    I also have 4500 and 6500 baitrunners on ulgys and glowsticks.
    Penn GTi 321 left hand retrieve with a glowstick.

Main lines are Maxima Ultra Green mono 25-35 lb test or 65/16 PowerPro.
    Leaders: Maxima Ultra Green mono 30-40 lb test.
    If you haven't tried the Maxima Ultra Green you should it's such a great line.

Taliesin, the 4500 should be able to adjust to a very light pull with the baitrunner engaged, if it's not doing that with the adjustment knob turned to the lightest position have it repaired the 4500 is a great reel.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am 50/50 sometimes I like to take the 7 foot ugly sticks with the 6500's and sometimes I like to take the 7 foot ugly sticks with the Diawa sealine 5050 baitrunners. but I always have at least one of my ultralights for bream fishing. All of them have Cajun Red Advantage the 7 footers 15-25 lb test ultralights 3-5 lb test.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Right now, for Catin', I'm using a Shimano Baitrunner on my 8' rod with 25lb test line, & my other rod is a 9' with a Shimano Tidewater/Freeliner & it has 25lb test on it as well.
    :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Okuma Metallix MT65 Reel
    9' Okuma Rod
    50# Cajun Red line
    80# Suffix Leader
    7/0 Kahle Hook

10. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am using Quantum Big Cat 7' 6" medium heavy rods, Quantum Big Iron and Abu-Garcia 7000 reels, and Stren 50 lb catfish line in green.

11. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Nice equipment all around guys !

I just got back from the salt where I used my new penn 310 gti /tiger stick combo with 80 lb gorilla wire on em. All I have to say is, im very impressed with the rod & reel. Although I didnt catch anything on em, makes my last combo (uglycat/6500 cl3) feel like kids stuff.

12. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    My 'serious' rod is an 8 foot Uglystick Catfish MH, with an Abu 6500c3 loaded with 20# Suffix Siege.

Also have a couple of bargain Shakespeare spinning combos with 15# line / 7' rods.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It adjusts fairly lightly, especially when compared to baitcasters, but the 6500 adjusts to a lot less.

A 2 oz. weight will set of the clicker for the 6500, but it takes a 4 for the 4500.

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Abu 65/6600s spooled with 30 lb Big Cat Solar Collector green line on 1-piece 7ft Ugly Sticks

15. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    My Boss Hawg Combo And My Okuma Spinning Reel With A 8' Berkley Lightning Rod, And I Have A Penn Spining Reel On A Ugly Stik I Love...all 3 Come With Me Everytime...i Also Have A Bunch Of Other Ones...i Dont Own Any Abu's, But Okuma Is What We Use Most Down Here.
    Shaun

16. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    heres my rigs...
    #1 a cameron graphite pole Heavy action(for bass but SUPER STRONG i have cought 2 20lb fish on it i just LOVE the action on it), and a ABU 6500cb and 50lb POWER PRO and a 40lb big game leader

#2 Cabelas King Kat pro MH, and 40lb big game line and leader and a ABU 5500 reel....

definately like the 6500 way better

but no joke that first outfit is STRONG!

my next rod will be a shakepeare tiger and a abu 7000
    I CANT WAIT

Jeff

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    for the channel a 7' ugly cat with abu 6001and 20lb maxama for the flats a jim moyer rod from catfish conection with abu 7001 BG with 35# maxama and a 7' tiger med action with penn 321 with 40 lb maxama, if im going to cast far i will use the jm with 7001 bg it will out cast the penn by far but the tiger with the penn is pure power

18. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My Two Rigs

8' & 9' King Kat Pro MH
    TICA Sportera Baitrunner Spinning Reel
    65lb Power Pro

7'6" American Spirit Catfish Nite Stick Pro Series MH
    Abu 6501C3
    65lb Power Pro

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Penn 320 LD on a 8 foot Seeker, American series with 50 lb Power Pro
    Tica Caiman 205 on a 8 foot Intercoastal Ugly Stick with 17 pound P-Line
    Shakesphere LX3200 Long cast on a 12 foot Cabelas Match Rod with 10 pound Power pro
    Rhino RC3 spincaster on a 7 foot Berkley Cherrywood with 6lb P-line
    Penn Senator 0/4 on a 6 foot Fenwick Pacific Stick With 50lb Power Pro
    I intend to replace all the Power pro with P-Line!
    I got half a dozen other rods and reels for loaners