? Rod/Reel Holders ? Designs? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by ThaWstSide, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok folks, I need some ideas if ya'll are willing to share. The problem I have is, when I go to fish, I usually lay my poles down in the bed of the truck. What I wanna do here is either try to find something already made or some ideas to make something myself.

I have a "small" sonoma pickup with a shell on the bed. I am wanting to make/buy some type of rack to hold my poles preferably up the sides of the bed/shell.

To give you an idea here, I counted the poles last night in the truck, there was 21 poles. Holy Crap, 3 people = 21 poles?

I have tried to collaborate some ideas with others, and put it on paper. It has basically been with 1/2" pvc. It basically turned out looking like a roll cage for a truck or something with the tubes connecting along the sides, bottom and top it had a lot of t's in it bring out "arms" with elbows on the ends like hooks to hold each pole on a "certain" level...

Let me know what you have...

Thanks,
    Jim

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Go to the member library. There are many many designs of home made rod holders there that are easy to make and don't cost much either.

Good luck.

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    No no, I want to design/build some type of rack to hold the poles during travel. We take alot of gear with us since we usually drive 50 or more miles to fish when we go as a group.

I have a fiberglass shell, I have no place on it to screw to for mounting. I do however have the option of using the mounting clamps for the shell as a support. They have a single large bolt going thru them.

I have looked at the designs in the member library, but they arent what I had in mind.

I have considered building a copper pipe design and using the shell mounts as the base supports. I just need to make sure whatever I use as material is strong enough to support the weight of multiple poles. As I mentioned before we have 21 poles in the truck currently. I know the copper is going to be costly, but it is alot sturdier (sP) that pvc.

I really try to maintain/care for my poles/reels, I just dont want to have damaged equipment, broken rods, broken reels. I figure this is the least I could do to prevent a tackle box/cooler/bucket or anything else ending up on them.

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Now I must admit, I never even thought about that and I think it is an awesome idea. The pvc tubes with a sheet of plywood over them would make a excellent pole storage area. Man, I tell ya. Now I see why it is called the Brotherhood!

I appreciate the idea, and thank you again!

Jim