Rod & reel dilema...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by AlvinAmerica, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AlvinAmerica

AlvinAmerica New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    After living in the desert for many years, I find myself in North Carolina, a place that has water and fish. I have sorely missed fishing.
    I am about to re-rig and the more I read, the more confused I become regarding gear.
    I am in the Aberdeen area and what is within striking distance for me is the lakes of the Uwharrie and some river.
    When I lived out west a big catfish was 10 pounds. I am amazed at the size of them here. I also like to fish for largemouth.
    I am disabled with arthritis and other spinal stuff and have a very limited income. I will be bank fishing. The only resource here for gear is WallyWorld. What I am trying to do is acquire a rod and reel that will cover as much of the fishing spectrum as possible. I may need to reach deeper and have two setups (gotta admit a proclivity for throwin' a plastic worm, and crankbaits).
    I have been looking in the reel area at an Abu Garcia 6000 for a baitcaster, and an Abu Garcia Cardinal 104 for a spinner.
    As far as what's available at WW, I have been looking at a Daiwa med/hvy
    6' 6" spinning rod, and a Lightning baitcaster.
    Again, the more I research, the more confused I become... now, there is the decision about braided vs mono line, that didn't exist when I last fished.
    After, again, perusing the rod selection at WW (you have to look up to do so) all I came away with was a very stiff neck and the paranoia that I must be suspect in the shoplifting realm after so many times wandering without purchasing.
    Any words of wisdom that Ya'll can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    AA

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    You might want to explore yard sales and swap meets, if you have a reasonable eye for quality equipment. This should be quite a bit cheaper than getting new gear. Since there aren't any monsters where I fish freshwater, I have modest rigs -- medium freshwater rods at about 6', and #20 spinning reels with 8# test for the heavier fish. I was able to get a nice set for ~$15 on clearance. However, that is more of a pan fish setup. That having been said, I was able to land a 7# channel cat with that rig.

I do not know if you want to try your luck with a baitcaster at this point. In my experience, that takes quite a bit more dexterity to use well, and stiff fingers would make things very difficult.

-- Rich

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alvin Welcome to the BOC. You are going to love this site. Glad to have you on board.:0a23: :0a25: :0a25:

4. AlvinAmerica

AlvinAmerica New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you Micki,
    I already do love this site.
    AA

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Try Local Pawn shops. Sometimes they have good fishing stuff. If you are targeting smaller cats/bass I would go with a spinning outfit and mono line. a spinning reel with a good stiffness and 14 pound FireLine should cover most of it.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would offer the suggestion you buy as cheap as you can right now and while fishing this summer, check out the equipment the other anglers use. Most of us like to talk a lot, and I am sure if you strike up a conversation with someone else fishing near you, you will get real good information for your neck of the woods, how to catch the fish, where to catch the fish and what to use...

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Alvin, nice ta meet ya. I'm not a great fisherman, no brag, just fact. I have a hoot catching eating size cats. And bass are fun too. I've yet to rig up as these purposeful folks do, for the big flats. I'm still having fun. I got a Berkley Big Game MH from WW for $20, and put a Zebco Rhino the one with 20# line and it's a great outfit for channels. Closed face spinner & I hooked one last year I fought for better an 20 minutes till the hook straightened out. It wasn't equipment that let me down, I tried to horse it in with too small a hook. Bout $55 for the rig. Before that I always had luck and fun with the combos packaged from the makers, matching reel and rod. For eating I like channels, 3 to 5 lb. and almost all the heavy duty combos will handle those. One of the great things about fishing is everyone can afford it.
    :big_smile:

8. AlvinAmerica

AlvinAmerica New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks all for the welcome and the feedback.
    Take care,
    Alvin