Rod/Reel combo for Skips?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by duckalot, Jan 14, 2010.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whats your favorite Rod/Reel combo for catching Skipjack? Last year I had a med action graphite bass rod and a small spinning reel spooled with 10 pound fire line. Not near heavy enough to run a tandem rig when the big ones were hitting. This year I'm looking to up grade to something a little heaver.
    DA

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I used about the same setup the first time I went skippy fishing and realized it wasn't quite enough, especially when you get 5 big ones on one cast and are trying to get them in the boat without losing any! Dang near broke my graphite rod! I found my Jamison Blue Cat #1 with 6500 and 80lb braid was a good compromise between being heavy enough and still being able to cast the lighter weight sabikis and spoons. A heavier fiberglass rod will allow you to swing the whole bunch of them into the boat or on the bank in one swoop without having to worry about any getting off while trying to hand land them.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use a 7ft med action ugly stick with an ABU 5000 loaded with 12lb big game line.

4. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Im with Griz..7ft med action with abu spinning reel except I put on 8lb x strong p line.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Im using a BIll Dance select series MH bass rod and a crappie jig with 8lb trilene maxx

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Now that sounds like fun...4 or 5 on at a time..

7. festus

festus New Member

I talked to one of the best fishermen in my area a while back and he uses a 9' steelhead rod, not an expensive one either. Less than $50.

8. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I'm going to use my 8' MH ugly stik catfish rod with 50# PP on it. It might be a little over kill but then again it might be perfect.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a cheap Wal Mart spinning rod & reel with 8lb mono. I tried #50 power pro for awhile, but casting up and down the river bank, I get snagged with the 6 hook sabiki rigs alot, and breaking the power pro became too much of a pain. I have snagged a landed a lot of big asian carp and the 8lb mono has not failed yet.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im using an 8 foot bass rod, with a Diawa baitcaster, rigged with 20# PP tipped with a sibiki rig and a 3/4-1oz bank sinker at the bottom. that way i can cast out there as far as possible and horse the little buggers in even if i get 2 or 3 or more on one sibiki.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I used a Phil King driftmaster #2 rod with 20# mono on a 6500 size reel. Worked great bringing in 5 and 6 skips at once.