Rod/Reel combo for channels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mswaterfowler, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have been lookin around for a good baitcasting rod and reel combo for channels in a pond that i fish. I would like one that makes it fun to catch them but is not underkill. BTW these channels thate we catch range from 6" to 20 lbs. with most ranging from 2-4 lbs. What do you think?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like an Abu 5000 with a medium ugly stick. Rod has plenty of flex for when they're just picking. The 5000 is big enough to deal with big fish (took a 43# blue on mine), but light enough that it's still fun on the smaller ones. Good Luck!

Branden

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am a strong advocate of the Shakespere Tidewater and a 6 1/2 foot berkley big game rod. This combo comes in at less than 60 dollars and works great.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    How about a zebco 33 platinum just for fun.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My channel cat rods are berkley big game series 7 1/2 ft medium heavy action with shakespere SKP2000C reels,whole setup is around 50 bucks .

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Branden nailed it.

Anything that you would find appropriate for bass will serve you well for channels.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    MAke it fun. Go for 4-6 lb. line and a medium action rod. It makes the fight really interesting. I prefer to go ultralight in my pond. 4lb line 5'6" rod and low drag. It makes reeling in little ones exciting,and bigger ones a challenge. I caught a 19 lb gar on an ultralight w/4lb test.

8. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have threatened to buy one of the ugly stick stripper series rods to tinker with. They look like they would be a fun rod since they dont seem to have a backbone in them unless its way down by the handle. That has to be a rod that will absolutly double over with a decent fish on it.

All my bass rigs have broom stick rods on them since i worm fish. You probably already have the equipment equipment you need. Too serious of a set up takes at least half of the fun away.

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    That is whats fun. My ultralight is a shakespeare cirrus. That combo cost $25 at wal mart. The rod is twice as strong as I figured. I have nearly went handle to tip bending the hell out of it. Its the stoutest lil' rod I've seenin a while. My ugly stik light isn't even that tough. I think next I'll try a barbie,or spongebob rod and reel.lol

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    In a pond, I'd go with a decent spinning reel and a 6.5-7.5ft medium or medium heavy rod with 10-12lb line. Make it a fiberglass rod, or a composite with a nice even bend to it. Ugly stiks work well as do lighter saltwater rods. I don't care for the shorter handles on most freshwater rods, so I look to the light saltwater rods. The smaller fish will still be fun and the 20lber's won't whip your butt (most of the time). When I fish ponds. I hardly ever use any weight at all, or maybe a 1/4oz at most. That's why I use the spinning gear.

Unless you are used to casting light weight with a casting reel (or are willing to put in the time), it's more trouble than it's worth.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

grab a shakespeare pole&reek for $20.... thats what i use :wink:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20lb test line for channels and Abu 6500C3 and 6000 reels and Berkley Big Game and Zebco Rhino MH rods.

13. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would go with a medium action rod spinning outfit and about 8 to 10# test. No problem with the small cats and a lot of fun with the 10#+ cats.

14. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Lots of good inexpensive combos out there in medium spinning action. Personally I like a 6' or better rod. There is certainly no need to spend more than 30$ on a rig until your hooked on catfishing for sure. :)

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    abu garcia 600 and ugly stik white catfish rod 7ft medium heavy...will run you around 100 bucks.