Rod Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Chrisingeorgia, May 18, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    What's a good rod for a Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Trophy reel? This will be my first heavy baitcast reel and I'm a little unfamiliar with the territory. I spent some time pacing around bass pro shop and was a bit overwhelmed by the rod selection. Getting quality customer service in that place is like a needle in a haystack.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    What size line, how long of a rod are you looking for? Boat or bank fishing?

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    like Lyle said how long of a rod do you like, what size line are you going to use, how long of a grip do you like what kind of grip,

There is alot of thing to finding the right rod and the one that feels good in your hands as well. I have around 30 in the shop that just dont feel right what to come down and try some out.:lol:

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always been a strong supporter of Ugly Stick rods because they have proven to me time and time again their durability. Like everyone else said it depends on what length of rod you may be looking for and that usually depends on the type of catfishing you'll be doing. To be honest you dont always have to go to extremes and get a thick sturdy rod if you know your fishing in waters with a lot of channels, because you CAN land a fish on tackle you wouldnt expect would hold.

5. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Well, that's the problem, I don't know what I like in a baitcasting rod because I've never used one. I'm switching over from spinning to baitcast. I typically fish 7ft rods and 30lb line. Not too picky on grips. I just want something that's well matched for a reel this size. :confused2:

6. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    No channels. I got this reel specifically with flatheads in mind. I will be fishing from a boat by the way if that makes any difference.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    7' is great I would want EVA foam grips a good reel seat, 20/40 line weight and stainless guides so if you want to run braided line you will be ok. I also would look fo a rod that has a fast action tip, it's eaiser to tell when they are biting lite. 7 or 8 guides on a 7' rod is the norm.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Most of the rods are marked for line just try different one in the line & price range you have you will find one that feels better then all the others when you do that your rods

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the 7' or 8' MH Ugly Stick Catfish Rod is a good all around rod. I am goiing to get me a couple.

10. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My first shovel head set up was an Abu 6500 C4 (I am thinking that this has the same frame as the Trophy does) and a 7' Shimano Compre rod. This rod is designed for Musky fishing but has no problems at all hauling around 30-40 pounders. It should really match up with that reel great. Go look at one before you buy something else its a really nice flattie rod.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm new again too, going from light to MH, I can tell you for the bank at least 10ft. I got a lot more distance with the 10 than the 8 using the same technique. (Probably a poor technique, but I'm tickled not to backlash).
    I got a nice channel on the 8ft Ugly Stick that was bigger than I thought when I banked it. On my old units, I would have probly lost it.
    I can use the 8ft. on my boat. The 10's too large.
    Why not get two rods, one for the boat, one for bank fishing.
    And I'm sold on the Ugly Stick's. Just buying the one 8ft. made a believer out of me. They did all the studying for us, just pick from the catfish series.