Rod Re-Wrapped/Re-Done Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bacardipr05, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Since its proving hard to get a two piece custom rod.(for a fair price) I am considering getting my favorite rod redone. (currently waiting for an email from a rod builder to build a custom two piece) Any suggestion in the Philadelphia area where I can get this done and for what price. The rod I am speaking of is an 8 foot Shimano Soccoro rod. Its about ten years old so you might not of heard of it. To this day I love the feel of this rod and haven't come across another like it. Has the right balance of power and sensitivity not mush but not pool stick like either. I pretty much just wanna get the guides redone.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Eessh really I didn't think it would run that much. She is my favorite rod of all the rods that I have and looked at none match the "feel" of this rod. I don't know about doing it myself i tend to goof those things up some how....:sad2: . The person I was speaking about a custom just got back to me. Couldn't make a two piece custom rod in the type and composition that I had wanted.:baffle:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I really just want new guides on her. The ones on the rod right know are ok. But after ten years they aren't looking so hot. Not to mention my friend had the rod in his trunk for a year and forgot it was in there... Might speak to bait shops around here if any still open. I don't doubt its time consuming work but figure since I was giving the rod wouldn't be that pricey.......

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    If all you want are new guides you really should consider doing them your self... you'd be amazed at how easy a simple guide wrap, even with underwrap, actually is. The pride of fishing with a rod you assembled your self is very confidence building.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your just into serviceable and not pretty you can do like i did.i just got new guides and put them on with cotton trot line string then went over them with electrical tape.only had to redo the tape a couple times and have been using them like this for bout 20 years.these are 1 piece 14 foot rods.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Electrical tape when i went blue fishing I saw someone that had grey tape on their guides. I thought to myself this will never hold up to a bluefish...lol...

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Why not do it yourself? It's a great winter project. The supplies are all available from Bass Pro and Cabellas and others. Pick out the right set of guides (just match the size and number of guides that are on the rod now) and some threat - generally size D for the over wraps and A for the under wraps (wrap the blank under the rod guide feet), and some good coating.

You don't need a fancy rod builing machine. I take a good size cardboard box and cut the front out and then cut notches in the two sides (for the rod to sit in). Put the spool of thread in a coffee mug and run it through the pages of a big book for tension. You can pile another book or two on top for more tension if needed. Then you just carefully turn the rod so the thread lies nice and neat.

There are some little tricks to knwo, like getting the thread started, filing the guides feet so they are thin on the ends, but not sharp, and wrapping over a loop of thread, so you can pull the end back under when you finish, etc. But it's really not all that hard.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have something we use to rotate when we cook pigs......

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

One of Our Newest Sponsors ( The Rod Shop ) Tom Knox the Owner,Can and Will build you a 2pc. He is building me a Custom 2pc 8' 6" M/HVY 12-25lb moderate/fast Action On a Rainshadow blank with cork handles.
    Which will be done this week, And its one of the best rods I've put in my hands.~~~1 stout piece of equipment.~~~~ Top of the line rods.

Go to the sponsors link and check him out, give him a call and talk to tom and tell him what you want and he will fix you right up.:wink: at a real good price too!.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Do you know around how much he is charging you....

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  12. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I had never experienced this, but two weeks ago I lost a ceramic eye/guide out of my Shakespeare UglyStik Lite. Attached is a prototype for a quick guide repair. Ultimately I need to find some harder material rings. I just used the existing frame and epoxied an insert in it. This way I'm not spending a great deal of time, or money, on the rod, but I have it back to use. Why replace the whole frame when a replacement ring can be found and epoxied in place. It looks very similar to the original, wrapping not disturbed. The plastic will certainly last as long as the ceramic, two years. See the attached PDF file.

Attached Files:

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Interesting idea Dave.....

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm, Dave , the same thing happened to me on my Med 7' ugly stick but the tip on mine came out. I didn't know you could buy new inserts for them. I already took mine off and saw new ones for about $5 for 3 different sizes.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    tips are easy to replace. Just heat up the metal part to loosen up the glue and pull it off. find the proper size tip and hot glue it back in place.

for replacement tips I prefer saltwater grade stainless tips!

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My buddy just lost one of his inserts from his Shakespeare Rod i think its an Alpha I will pass this info on to him.....

17. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hey Angel,
    If you can afford it... Kenny's Rainshadow is going to be a fishing machine! I know a high quality graphite blank might be a little more money than your current rod. But!
    I'll bet that rod will replace two or three rods Kenny now loves, and the same for you. Rainshadow is made by Batson, a very small company (13-14 employes including the owners) in WA, they make the best blanks pound for pound that you can buy.

I have a few that I have wrapped my self, and a few from other custom builders (including the famous "BreakawayUSA":roll_eyes: save your money, buy from somewhere else..) and will stand by their products confidently.