Rod Rack?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by pappy3, Aug 20, 2007.

1. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    What does everyone think about making a rod rack out of 1" black pipe and welding a nut on it to recieve the driftmasters? You can get a floor plate that is threaded to mount it to your boat and use a riser of pipe threaded on both ends and 90's at the top corners! Will this work or should I use angle iron ? thank you pappy3

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depending upon your boat, it would work (at least how I envision the thing - hopefully it is a fiberglass construction). I would be careful about mounting it to the floor as those places where screws go through the floor are where it rots first. I'd also try and re-enforce it good so the first time I caught a good snag I wouldn't pull the rod rack off the boat. That would be expensive and sickening.

3. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well my boat is a deep v aluminum and I was going to mount it on the gunnels with re enforcing sanwiching the gunnel! pappy3

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That should work just fine. I think that a guy just made one out of pipe and posted some pictures here recently. I believe he used a bit larger pipe that what you're wanting to. He did the same thing as far as welding a nut on to accept the Driftmasters. Is that a Sylvan boat that I spied in one of your pictures? I just bought a Sylvan so I had a few questions if it is.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
  6. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    No my boat ia a starcraft , they look alot alike. I saw a picture of your boat , that is areal clean rig! pappy3

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I haven't been catfishing in it yet, that's why it's still clean:smile2: I haven't had a chance to get it in the water since I bought it, had to take it right to the shop to get a seal replaced the day I bought it. I'm hoping to take it out Wed. but it's gonna kinda stink with no rod holders yet. I'm supposed to be getting some of my buddies pontoon, but we'll have to wait and see.

8. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    this is a veiw from the back, you can see how wide the gunnel is.

Attached Files:

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Could a person take your idea and make it out of pvc instead? Your idea sounds good!!!:tounge_out:

10. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would be afraid that the first time big ole catdaddy gets on there and snap!! I suppose if you use electrical conduit that is sunlight resistant and you braced it up you might get away with a low profile one, but I sure would be haveing my rods tied to something that won't break! :wink: pappy3