Rod rack

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Jb1z, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was hoping to make a rod rack to carry rods on top of my car. Any suggestions ?

2. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    PVC tubes with any way you want to mount them. You can cap one end and put the screw in cap on the other end. So they will last a long time and save your rods and reels for years to come. And they are cheapest to setup what you need. You can make one for each of your rods or take your reels off and put 2 or 3 or more rods in one tube. Look for a garage sale ski rack to mount the tubes on or make one.

3. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    What would be a good way to mount them ?

4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I agree with Michael about looking for a ski rack, or at least make something to protect the top of your car.
    If it were me, I would make the rack to hold the PVC. I know cat rods are built tough, but I wouldn't pack more than one in PVC. Just get PVC that will take the biggest guide and build them what way. I also wouldn't pack them with the reels on either. Unless you just "have" to have the reels on and the lines already rigged up, then you will have to figure that out.
    If you aren't traveling with many rods, I would just tie/zip tie/duct tape all the PVC together and have the rods all bundled together like that.....then your rack for the top of the car wouldn't have to be so big, and you might can make something other than using a ski rack.
    Whatever you make, just make sure it won't come off, or at least make it where you can see it out the front windshield or back. It would be terrible for some bass fisherman to find a lot of nice cat rods laying on the side of the road..........but then again, a bass fisherman wouldn't know what to do with a rod like that....
    Post a picture if you make something.

5. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you guys have any pictures or drawings of what you're talking about ?
    And could you recommend a ski rack ?

6. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    You could use a bike rack or anything that would clip to the car. Check for yard sales and see what you can find. Do not but a brand new $300.00 rack. Look for a cheap but well build rack that would mount to your car. As far as the pvc pipe they ship rods in them ask Flame keeper. PVC should not hurt your rods at all. You could wrap them with some thing before you put them in if you are worried about it. But if they would fall off the PVC would save them from breaking or damage. And PVC is weather proof so you could store them with the rod inside. And keep the reels in your tacklebox.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I have seen it done like Cuda suggested and it works very will

8. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I do not have pics but I built a rod storage container when I was younger to hold my rods. I used 3" sch 40 PVC. I capped one end and in that cap I put a small sponge to protect the tips. On the other end I put an adaptor for a screw in cap. I would put all my rod together and wrap them in a few towels to protect them from bouncing around. I also drilled two holes toward the center and made a rope handle to carry. It was tough. It could fall out of the truck and nothing would happen to it.

I would make something like that and then just look at lashing it down to your truck/car/suv.