1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Rim Gas Bicycle part Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Floor Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Membranophone Idiophone Musician Wood

It is made from awning support rails. Rivited together. The support bracket is from a pontoon boat kit. Will eventually switch to monster RH. Adding a bimini top which will go between the rear seat and the motor when stowed. Will be using for anchored catfish and crappie trolling.

Open to any and all ideas.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,658 Posts
Put it like in the last pic. That way you won't be stepping in the splash well trying to get to the rods.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I would figure out a way to hold it there temporarily and then load it up with rods in each of the positions. Simulate the best you can sitting in the chair and then getting up to get the rods. Then simulate fighting and landing the fish. This may help figure out where you want it.

To me from the pics the rod holders are essentially in the same position in all the pics. THe only difference is where the kicker brace goes. In that case I would rather have it go to the back of the boat so it is out of the way.

ONly other idea would be something like this on each corner of the boat. You wouldn't need it as high since you don't have to worry about the motor hitting it. Obviously this is fancy, but I think you could DIY something pretty easy. The reason that I like something like that is it still makes it easy to access the back of the boat if I need to deploy a drift sock or pee. LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Well, if you run the supports to the rear the torque would be pushing down, to the front the pressure would be pulling on whatever you use for fasteners. I like the design Craig posted, check out the Fish-N-Stuff u-tube channel he has some neat DIY holders on the same design that fold down to allow a boat cover to go over them and reduce drag when trailering. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
The strongest brace in shown in picture 2. The brace angled toward the back is best support wise. Make sure you can bring the engine up and have clearance, open the compartments and WILL NOT be drilling holes into a hidden gas tank.

good luck

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
6,411 Posts
And I used to have one that went across the back and then I discovered these t-bars that are custom made... You can actually sit in a chair on the back of the boat and fish.....
Water Sky Lake Outdoor recreation Cloud
of course you can only see one side cuz I'm in the way but they're in the corners and I like them a lot.... Always had a bar across the back...

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
And I used to have one that went across the back and then I discovered these t-bars that are custom made... You can actually sit in a chair on the back of the boat and fish..... View attachment 326939 of course you can only see one side cuz I'm in the way but they're in the corners and I like them a lot.... Always had a bar across the back...
I agree. With the looks of the OP boat, a Mul T Bar, Corner Bare Setup, etc would be ideal. Looks like you could easily mount on that triangle piece of alumnium and not affect any functions of the boat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
View attachment 326933 View attachment 326934 View attachment 326935

It is made from awning support rails. Rivited together. The support bracket is from a pontoon boat kit. Will eventually switch to monster RH. Adding a bimini top which will go between the rear seat and the motor when stowed. Will be using for anchored catfish and crappie trolling.

Open to any and all ideas.
That looks something like mine. mine goes to the outside corner and is above the motor. 6-rod holder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts