Rod Rack Plans?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Mr.T, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Anyone have plans for building a simple wall-mount fishing rod holder rack? Not looking for a piece of art, just something to keep the rods from getting tangled up in the corner!

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have mine on 2 J hooks screwed into two studs.
    I have them on the ceiling so there allways out of the way.
    Works good on a wall also. Now if your wanting to keep them in the house it probably wont work to have a bunch of hooks screwed through the walls ;)
    Cheap and easy....

3. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i went with the j hooks too, cheap and easy.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I don't have a set of plans. But do have one that I can work out a set for you. IT sits in the floor and holds I belive 7 rods and reels. But can be change to hold as many as you have room for.
    Let me know and I will try to get you something.
    Pete

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I use a pool cue rack works great just notch out the top holes of the rack rip a borad to go the hole length pre drill a small hole on one end screw the board ya rip at center so it can spin up to release the rods then back down to hold them

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Red,
    What kind of rack are you talking about. I have 20+ rods and I want to put them up out of the corner. I'm looking for plans for a rod holder system of some kind. I seen some I liked but I'm not paying $100.00+ for a rod holder to put in my apt.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
  8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thanks for the site.

9. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a 12" x 28" room that I built onto the side of my workshop to store my my 19' boat. I got tired of having to take stuff out of it when I parked it under a shed. I built a simple rack across the back 12' wall for my rods. I attached a 2" lip onto 1" x 4" and attached it to the wall about 6" above the floor. The handle end of the rods rests on this 1" x 4". I then attached inexpensive rod holders designed to hold rods on the side of a boat about 4' above the 1" x 4 " base (rods are stored vertically). I put them at slightly varying heights so that they would not interfere with rod eyes. I have enough spaces for about 30 rods. The rods are grouped by size and purpose. My rods are on one side of the rack and my son's on the other. I try to keep my wife from seeing this wall. Something about seeing the rods causes her to want to go shopping.

I also put about a 4' clothes rod along the back of one of the 28' walls to use to hang life jackets. A 16" wide shelf was installed along both 28' walls about 6 1/2 feet from the floor (didn't want to hit my head on it). These shelves hold a lot of ice chests, minnow buckets, cricket cages, old tackle boxes, and assorted important stuff. My son also stores his kayak in this room. It is suspended from the ceiling over my boat.

The room has no inside wall covering. So we attached a 1" x 4" board along the studs so that we can stand paddles, skis, wake boards, brim busters, and other between the studs and out of the way. Three inch screws are also placed in the wall in these recesses to hang anchor rope, ski tow rope, etc. Some peg board was added to hang small items to make them easy to find. An old book case was placed on one side wall at the back end. Used to hold spare parts, boxes of line, my supply of canned food used to replenish boat supplies after each trip, and small plastic boxes which have many small drawers. These contain extra hooks, rod eyes, floats and other stuff that I keep to replenish my tackle boxes. Paper towel racks have been placed on both side walls. Electrical outlets have been suspended from the ceiling over the boat. One right above the plug for the onboard battery charger (got tired of lifting batteries). These outlets are controlled by a wall switch and of course are protected by a GFCI.

I know you didn't ask about all of this, but I got started typing and couldn't stop.

10. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Those are some neat looking rod racks. I built one for my rods and screwed it to the wall in my shed. Probably not the best design because it takes up a lot of wall space, but I feel my rods are secure in it. It kinda looks like this.

Attached Files:

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    What a slick idea! Do you have a picture of yours? That be a good one for the library!

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the ideas.

Pete - no need to make up a set of plans just for me; I can improvise something without much problem, just thought maybe someone had already done the heavy lifting...

Cabelas sells a 2-piece wall mount rod rack for around $15 so it may not even be worth the trouble to make something up myself - though I've got enough scrap wood out in the shop that it shouldn't cost much.

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here is muine $12,00 at big lots.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Oh well don't seem able to upload pictures anymore

15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    My rod rack from Big Lots.

16. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    This is a project I need to get workin on also. Got tons of ideas, but no plans. Will keep you in mind tho. Does anybody have any thoughts about storing rods verticaly or horizontaly? Pros or cons ?

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Poking around on the web, I found this set of "plans":

http://www.bhg.com.au/transient/200112_Fishingrodhold.pdf

However... The plan is from Australia so everything is in metric and might as well be Swahili... But you can study the plan and get an idea of how to build a decent looking rack.

And if you want to do the conversion to inches easily, google does it in a snap -- go to the Google home page and enter something like "140mm in inches" and it'll spit out the answer.

Basically, the plan requires about 3 or 4 1x6x6' pine boards, a short length of 2x2 for the feet and a 2" hole saw. It could be made to hang on the wall easily enough by leaving off the feet and adding a couple of braces along the back side.

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3744

Take a look at the link above and check out "Rods and Holders". There are many rod holders in there that are easy to build and won't cost a fortune to build. If anyone has one they built and want to share it with our membership, them make a post and I'll grab it up and get it in the library. There is a ton of great info in the library and it's all there for the taking.

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mr. T there is one very similar to that one in our library and it's in a measuring system we can understand. LOL Take a look and see if you don't like one of the rod storage ideas in the library.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks, Whistler -- I tried to search for "Rod Rack" before posting here, but the goofy search feature won't let you search for a 3-letter word. Only saw a couple of things in the library that look like they're rod storage racks -- most are just rod holders of one sort or another.