Rod props

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by txkatfish, Dec 6, 2006.

1. txkatfish

txkatfish New Member

State:
    Holliday, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a folding rod holder that you prop your rod on when bank fishing? I have seen them in a catalog but can not find them any where. Or does anyone have ideas about how tobuild rod props?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are several rod holder designs in the BOC library.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll share what I use.

I buy 1-1/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe. Cut it up into about 3 foot lengths and cutting one end to a sharp point.
    If you use one of the folding camp chairs in a bag you can get the chair and as many as 4 of these rod holders in the bag.
    Its hard to beat these holders if you get them in good ground. Its easy to put a rod in or take a rod out.

If you want to dress them up you can slowly bring the end of the pipe up to a temperature where the PVC gets soft. Take an empty wine bottle and stick it in the pipe. The bottle will flair the ends of the pipe making any contact points with your handles smooth. Have a wet rag handy to wipe the pipe down while the bottle is still in the pipe. This cools the pipe remolding it. Pull the bottle out and go fishing.

Schedule 40 PVC works but with schedule 80 you can use a rod holder to bang another one in the ground without the pipe shattering.
    So my chair bag contains a chair , 4 rod holders with one being the hammer and a spare.
    Its one way of condensing what you carry bankfishing into fewer pieces.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can also cut them straight, attach a piece of angle aluminum to the bottom of the PVC, cutting the bottom of the angle to a V shape first. The best way to attach is to drill a large hole in two places in the PVC at the points you want to install the screws, drill screw size holes in the angle, and attach, using the PVC holes to work the srews in to place. The large holes are only on one side of the PVC, the other side gets holes to match up with the ones you drill in the angle.

If you are not inclined to make them yourself, just go to the nearest Academy store. For less than $4 apiece, you can buy the PVC/angle aluminum rod holders. Or, if you want to prop your poles, for about $9, the sell a double rod prop. Be careful propping your rod, though. You have to do it just right or a catfish will pull the rod over the prop. A big one may take rod and reel with him.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark that is pretty slick using the wine bottle. I just might try that out.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Notice he didn't say anything about getting the wine bottle. The process probably works best if you drink the contents just before you do the work.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I didn't notice that, thanks. Since I don't drink I guess I will use an old glass coke bottle I have for the flare.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey BOC members...Yes, the library has some excellent rod holder designs...

fishing off of the local breakwater presented a problem for me. I wanted to get the pole high in the air, and off the water so that the ocean waves wouldn't effect the line to much... I came up with a 26" piece of 1 1/2 ABS schedule 40 pipe that I put on an oak 1 x 1 1/4 stick about 4 ft long. I know this is long, but it allows me to insert it into the the bolder/rocks and still extend out alot. I cut a ramp on the end of it to accomodate level wind reels, and a goove in that for spinning reels.

One more thing... I made a slot down low on the plastic that allows me to rotate the plastic to have the reels laying flat and natural like.

bayrunner ray

9. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Great post Mark, what do you use to heat the pipe? I have an acetylene torch but I'm thinking it would be hard to heat the pipe evenly with it without catching it on fire.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I use a PVC heater. They come as an oven with rollers in them or a blanket that wraps around the pipe. Like an electric blanket.

The biggest problem with torches is what you mentioned. You'll wind up scorching the pipe.
    I've never tried it myself but I imagine a kitchen oven would work. Just hold it in there and keep turning it like a rotteserie. When it gets soft it will droop.
    I wouldnt lay pipe in my oven and shut the door. In fact I wouldnt let the pipe touch anything in the oven.

People build these PVC heaters themselves and I'm sure there are plans for one on the web somewhere you could build cheap.
    You dont want to buy one though. One that handles up to 2" inch runs 500-700 dollars depending on brand.
    It aint nothing but a metal box with a heating element in it.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You can heat it carefully with a propane tourch or over a camp stove. If you run across one of the old little toaster-ovens they work great.