Rod power ratings?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Vekta, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    How do manufactures measure rod power rating? It seems to me that every manufacture is a little different. Is there no standard guidelines as to what is a "medium" and what is a "medium-heavy"?

For example:
    Ugly stick Tiger- 7' "Medium" 1-piece rod, 20-50 lb. test Line Weight
    Daiwa Saltist- 7' "Heavy" 1-piece rod, 20-40 lb. test Line Weight

Why is one heavy and the other medium if they're both in the same line weight category?

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    You know thats a good question , i rember pondering the same thing before i brought my MH tiger rod . I just went with what i was familiar with ugly sticks along with the rave reviews i read here on the BOC .maybe the materials that are used in the blanks , oh well lets see if some one will educate both of us .

3. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    That's what got me wondering. I've seen a few places refer to tiger rods with the 20-50 pound test line rating called "Medium-Heavy" yet when I look up the rod on there websight it's listed as a "Medium".

I use mainly 20 pound test but the rod listed as "medium-heavy" is rated for 30-60. That's when the confusion started. Which one is which and by what standard is that established if there is one at all...:confused2:

I don't know how accurate Wikipedia is on this but if the line weight is too heavy for rod of a given rating it can change the action of the rod and possibly result in breaking the rod. If the line is too lite for the rod of a given rating it could snap the line during a cast or hook set.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    action and power are 2 seperate things so let me try to explain this take the 2 rods you list lets say the ugly stik is a medium action that means that the rods taper starting at the butt will go say 3/4in diameter for the first 24in then taper down to 1/2in over the next 24in and the final 36in taper down to 1/4in thats the action but say the last 36 inches are solid glass making that rod a lot stronger than another rod where those same 36in are hollow glass now one rod has a heavy power rating and the other is medium. sure different materials also dictate the power rating too most american rods are built to cast a specific weight range so take the same 2 rods again 1 is rated to cast 1-6oz and the other can cast 1-3oz the 1-6oz rod is more than likely made from glass or a glass/graphite composite and the 1-3oz is made of graphite. the narrower the casting weight range the higher the grahite content. hope this clears it up some.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    makes sense to me .

6. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    Oh so it doesn't have as much to do with line weight as I thought it does...

or at least that's how I understand what you said.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great post, Mark! Reps out to ya!

Bill in SC