Rod Maker

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Calvin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do any of you guys know about a guy at Pamona Lake who builds rods? I think his name is Ehler. I'm considering getting a couple of good flathead rods made and thought surely someone on the BOC knows about him.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I know of a guy in that area that does rods. PM sent!

3. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    ive been looking around for someone make some rods to. but i cant seem to find anyone who does it

4. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    how much does a custom rod cost?

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    As much as you want it to.:wink::smile2: Atleast 100 bucks, and that is on the cheap end. Just depends on the quality of the components. You could easily have 100 bucks in just a quality blank, if not more.:crazy:
    Lots of options that make the price differ greatly.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on what you want and what you call custom.
    Alot of people don't seem to get past the visual aspect of custom and into the ergonomics and function of custom.
    Thread work is pretty but it might as well be fine art on a diner napkin if that is the depth of the custom rod.

The sky is the limit.

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I know a guy that spent $1300.00 on a custom FLY ROD. Crazy bastard. :crazy::smile2:
    The sky and your wallet are your only limitations.

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got yur PM Dan. Thanks for the information. The guy who was telling me about him is an avid crappie fisherman. He does make some nice looking rods. But it's true that all the pretty thread and design in the world won't land a flathead if the rod material and design aren't up to the task. I'd expect to have to pay anywhere from $200-$500 for what I had in mind. A good muskie or steelhead rod will cost almost that much. A flathead rod would be similar to those with a few specific modifications.