Rod Line weight

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Roadkillwarrior, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been looking for a new rod and noticed that some of the heavy action rods say 15-25 line. Does that mean that you should only use that line weight for that rod or is that the mono diameter the line should be. If it calls for 25 pounds and I use 65 pnd braid will that be hard on that rod. I dont understand how they can call it a heavy action rod if so.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    good question...... i have wondered myself but never thought to ask about it....

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm of the opinion that if your drag is set right it shouldn't really matter. I suppose you could overtax a rod by using heavier line than it's rated for, but you have to remember - especially if you're using mono- you have give in your line, flex in your rod, and your drag will slip if it needs to. It's tough to get a lot of force on a rod, especially enough to break it, if your drag, etc, is set up right.

Just my $.02, but in any case I use Ugly Stik tigers rated for 25 - 55# line and run 80# PowerPro with no problems. I s'pose I could break one through normal fishing but I'm pretty sure I'd have to try hard. Good Luck~

Branden

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It says 15-25 that tells you that the blank is rated as a 20lb blank, in its own class.
    and it goes on and on
    For example,,each blank below is 6'6" Fast action Live bait blanksBy SEEKER.
    20(25)40= L
    20(30)50= M
    30(40)80= HVY
    40(60)100= XHVY

Hope this helps some..I'll see what else I can find out,but thats how Seeker explains it.:roll_eyes:

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with Branden i have never really paid attention to that.

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I'm with Branden you have to set your reel so the drag is right. :wink: