Rod line rate

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Aug 16, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok so if a rod says its rated at 15-25 pound test or 10-20 is it ok to use say 30# test line or will that cause problems? Does it really make any difference?
    so if i got a rod that says 15-25 pound test on it and my reel has 30# test on it would that still be ok casting wise?

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    yes it will work fine.

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have two rods that say 15-30 and i am using 40# mono and weigh is 1/2 to 3 amd trowing 4 to 5 oz weights so yes it si fine

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    The line rateing on a rod is basicly the rod manufacture's recommended line weight rateing for that rod blank. say 20/40 the rod can handle these and maybe alot more, But 30lb test would be the best for the blank. All rods can handle more, you just have to be careful in your choice of line to which rod you plan on useing, because you can snap the tip right off a rod if you don't watch it and put too heavy a line on it.:wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Kenny on this.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Its not the line size as much as it is the weight you intend to throw.
    Most 15-30lb class rods are not gonna throw 6 to 8 ozs.You might not
    break it today,but you may eventually.

On this 10-20lb rod,how much weight do you intend to cast?

Another question I would ask is....how much drag pressure will your reel take....why not just use 20lb line?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    about as much weight as a small bluegill,sometimes maybe not that much.plus a one or two ounce no roll sinker.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O yeah bro I do bigger test all the time.. I think my cardinal 302 called for 6 # test.. i put 10.

9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thanks kenny good info.id say 30# test mono would be the heaviest id put on there.

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use 50, 65 or 80lb Power Pro on all my Rods and havent had any issues with any. I use M, MH, and I have 1 H Action rod. On my small rods I use 10-20lb Power Pro

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    For what you are slinging for bait I would recommend 20lb mono BBG or Ande.That is plenty big enough line for your intention.

I seriously doubt you have more than 20lbs drag pressure on your reel,so it will work fine.