rod lenth and pulling rasing power

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jul 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is it true a longer rod will give you way more lift and pulling power on a fish,i love the 10 foot berklys for flatheads, thoght and posted alot about twelv foot uglys but i love them glowstick tens so much, im going to get three more one in a spinning vesion perfect action, only downside is them eylets

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    give flamekeeper a holler hes the expert on that kind of thing around these parts.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Saw a 15 foot ugly stick tonight at a fishing store would of bought it but no way to haul it looked like u could haul moby up a moutian with that thing

4. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think so i have a 9ft custom meat hunter and a 6ft quantom iron and there is a world of differents i can pull better with the 9ft any day.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It's just a lever. The ratio is the handle length to the length above where you're holding it. If you want to pull the hardest, you want a short rod that's mostly handle.

There's other reasons to have a long pole. You can stear fish out of riprap better, etc.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Fishin below big dams you will want a longer rod. I use 10-14'ers.
    Keeps more line outta the water, allows for longer casts and makes it easier to set the hook at long distances.
    IMO they give you more control of the fish.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I like 7' rods, and the ones I build to use have rear handle sections about 14" long, then the reel seat, and usually a 5-7" foregrip... For me, these provide excellent torque for fighting fish, I like power in the 40# range M/H action.
    Lots of handle, frisky blanks, whole lot of fun!!
    I have several 10-11' rods for different applications when needed, and they aren't rated as heavy, but, are impressive with the power they hold!!! and, will definitely sling a rig a long ways out if needed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  8. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Longer rods give the fish more leverage against you. Longer rods are intended for casting distance, and can help with setting the hook if the rod is stiff enough.
    Short stiff rods are the correct tool for leverage over the fish. Off shore boat rods are typically 6'+- for fish that make catfish pull like guppies. So if you haven't been on the blue water, snagging poles would be the brown water equivalent.

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I fish a lot of log jams and big rocks so when I hook a fish I want to get em up and out quick so I like to use 6 to 6&1/2 foot medium heavy rods because of the strong backbone, longer rods are more for casting long distances than anything. I saw a guy mention flamekeeper in another post and he is your man when it comes to rod lengths and actions

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Look at your ? Long Rods has little or nothing to do with lifting /power, Its all in the lower 2/3rds of the blank.

If you lift your rod over 45-50% , which would be endangering the rod tip section, But your not fighting the fish he's fighting you. If you have it in the air and the fish is out there and your trying to move him, its not going to be to easy with a longer blank, because of the flexibility of the longer rods tip section your just playing the fish. Its designed to play the fish and help in casting distance.( you might be able to do some pulling , as in leverage with a long XXHvy Fast blank.)

Like ( RPnKC )-said--Longer rods are designed and intended for casting distance, tiring/playing the fish. The rod will do the work for you and will move the line faster on hook-set. again Already spoken of short; Boat/Jig rods are designed for the lifting, from solid fiberglass 5'6"-7', EGlass trolling rods 63"-66", EGlass stand up rods 5'6"-6'6", EGlass/graphite Tuna rods all have extreme lifting power.

Then you have a few blended blanks that go from 7'-8'10' that has some real good lifting to them as well... you go over that your rod will be playing the fish, IMHO.

Easy way to see for yourself, hook a 3lb weight to your longest Hvy rod, then hook the same 3lbs on a shortest Hvy rod.. The one that gives more is your weakest when it comes to lifting.:wink:

Leland might has some more to add on this subject.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I like 7 to 8.6 ft rods for catfishing but i have used a 10 ft glowstik...And yes the big ones give you mor leverage to lift the fish out of cover!

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    10 to 1 that the 7' rod will pull him out quicker than the 10'.

13. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    A good subject, and one most fisherman dont consider till they get whipped!:eek:oooh: Like Flamekeeper stated in his post a shorter 6' to 7' x-fast hvy. action rod will always have more power to turn a fish, excactly why most saltwater rods are all of that type, they dont need distance. Surfcasters land big fish on long rods soley because they need range for reaching their fish. The perfect rod would be 7' able to cast 300 yds.! Thats why we have so many out there to choose from, For a river rod my choice is 11'-6" not to long but has good power in the butt, my pick on a boat rod is 7'-8' or even a 9' the latter for drifting. Use the rod best suited to the fishing your doing and you likely win the battle 80% of the time.:big_smile:

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It's not just the rod, it's your ability to apply force to and then direct that force with the lever (that's really what a fishing rod is).

Do this: get a broomstick and tie a rope to the end, say, 25' (for no particular reason). Then tie the other end to a cinder block. Grab the stick and hold it just like you're fighting a fish, with one end in your stomach, with your hands about 18" or so about the end. Pull on the block. Then cut 18" or 24" off of the stick and do it again. You will move the block more easily with the shorter stick.

I think that the "lifting power" of long rods is confused with the ability of the longer rod to move more line than a short rod.

If long rods provided more lifting power and more leverage to fish big fish, then, like Flamekeeper and Cherokee have said, the saltwater boys who tangle with 500lb fish on a regular basis wouldn't be using 6'-6.5' rods.

Honesly, most freshwater fish don't pull hard enough that a particular length will affect the fight in any reasonable amount. Fish with what you like and learn to use it to it's best effectiveness.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like my 7ft Uglies,either big water boat or the Dan Herandez customs.They both do what I want-move that fish towards me in the first 2 seconds.A lot of the places I fish,if the rod gives enough for the fish to go two feet,I won,t have to worry about tiring him out,the fight will be over before it starts.For me it,s short,heavy and putting everything I got into getting him headed my way immediately.:wink:

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks guys, i was thinking hey a longer rod ,i can lift him up off the bottem better, but i gues if flamekeeper says thats false hes 100 percent right, so i guese the leth is for distance, not lift,lol, man i dont know my rods

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :eek:oooh:Don't single me out Bro:smile2:

I'm just one of many that have said the same thing here on this thread..

The testimony of 3 or 4 is greater than 1.:wink:

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like my 10 fts cause a longer rod is more of a shock absorber. If I am fishing real rough stuff out comes the 7 ft snaggen stick that can lift 20lbs of dead weight and 90lb line. What I give up with it is the shock absorbing ability and I some times straiten hooks or pop em loose. We dont call snaggen sticks broomsticks for nothen lol they got almost no give. Where the rods in 10 ft I like have a good stiff but balenced bend without being soft like a full glass rod.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not going to argue the fact about what flamekepper said, i mean the guy builds rods he knows way more than me but to me it seems my ten footer get the fish in better than a 7 0r 8, i get snagged up more, with my 10 glowstick, i lift them up better so it seems but this might be due to the action not the leanth,i dont know im rod idiot all i can say is i love them ten foot berckly glowsticks for flatheads

20. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Jake; Just hang in there man and keep reading posts on the rod reviews you can pick up alot from just observing what others are using, plus us old farts have been there and done enough to know what were talking about, your going to find that 3 or 4 rods are probly what you will use 80% of the time, your young......a whole lifetime of fishing ahead of you.:wink: