Rod Length

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by keithbc, May 13, 2009.

1. keithbc

keithbc New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm new and am looking to buy an ugly stik. The thing I'm wondering is what length rod to get. I'll be shore fishing mostly. Is an 8 foot Med/Heavey rod good for me or does it need to be shorter? Also what a good reel to put on it for a beginner?
    Thanks

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    8ft is a good length, longer is better though, if its a baitcaster any abu reel, and if its a spinning reel go with a okuma avenger baitfeeder

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I use the 8 Ft Ugly and Abu Garcia's. I sometimes am on a boat and find that these are nice for double duty !!!!

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i prefer the longer rods when bank fishin, if you gotta cast long ways, id go with a 10 footer,, an i second the okuma avenger baitfeeders, all i use is avengers anymore

5. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    welcome to the BOC keith, i use 8' ugly sticks i love em. i went with quantam surge 80 saltwater reels open face, i love them to. good luck catfishing bro

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the 8 foot rods thats all i use on shore or in a boat,i personally dont really care for really long rods for me they are to awkward to cast.but thats just me theres folks everywhere slinging poles as long as trees and do a fine job,i guess i just havent used them enough.but which ever you prefer either one will do the job.