Rod length versus leverage

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by RPnKC, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I understand the perception that longer rods give more leverage over the fish, however that is completely incorrect. Longer rods are made to facilitate longer casting distance, and have nothing to do with power.

Here is POWER:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_it62G0QnA&NR=1
    9:52 and worth the time.
    Teaser, then commercial, then fishing starts at 2:35.

Here is distance (325 yard cast):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IoCbZvj_0
    "Bait" is 14' from rod tip, which means it's a pretty stiff rod.

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    repost deleted...Thanks rick..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Got to say Rick I believe the longer length rod is as strong also as the smaller rods. The advantage in my opinion is the 10-12 ft rods have greater advantages but are also a nuisance when your in tight confined area's with no room.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I understand the perception that longer rods give more leverage over the fish, however that is completely incorrect.:wink:

Thanks again Rick..:big_smile:

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    They could be as strong. Doesn't mean that you have more leverage. Physics doesn't lie.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah but that's not really true. If you have a 5' rod with a 1' handle and I have a 10 footer with a 2' handle, the leverage is the same. You have to assume the rods bend the same arc for that because how long the rod is when straight has nothing to do with calculating the leverage. A short stiff pole might have the same person/fish ratio as a long limber one.

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    This is a very interesting discussion, with some great points.

Of course, there is more to calculating actual leverage than just rod length, as Josh pointed out. The action does indeed play a big role in the end numbers however most of us are not concerned with an actual mechanical advantage "number".

The idea of handle length is a misnomer. The "fulcrum" of the rod (in general, practical terms) is going to be the reel seat.

Have you ever noticed that when you have a big fish on a certain rod, you end up placing one hand above the reel for "leverage" on the fish... your changing the practical fulcrum for your lever(rod), thus making the leverage more to your advantage (i.e. shortening the practical length rod). The further up you place that hand the greater the shift in leverage (and I've had my hand nearly extended on some longer rods with poorly placed reel seats.).

In short, the longer rods give the leverage to the fish, in general terms.... shorter rods, give you the leverage advantage. Yes, the action plays a part in the equation, however most of us have to suit the action to the fish/bait/situation, not just for a mechanical advantage. If that were the case we could all fish with broom handles.

The ideal rod, would be a mixture of proper action, with a well placed reel seat and enough length to get the job done with out over doing it... Which is why so many fishermen have gone to customs, because that's the only way you'll ever get the perfect mix for YOU, the individual.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    man you learn something new every day, illmbe taking my 7vhevy out, istead of my 10 glowstick,lol

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    This is a very interesting discussion to me, also perplexing. When we learned in school about levers, leverage, fulcrum, and lifting power, I seem to remember that all things being equal, and we know seldom they are equal, that a longer lever, in this case a fishing rod, was capable of lifting or moving more weight than a shorter one. Maybe it isn't the capability that makes a difference it's the amout of work or effort required to achieve the same result. Using a longer rod allows you to be able get the job done with less effort.

:cool2:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Think of it as the fish using the rod as a lever against the fisherman, as the fish uses the long end to gain leverage.

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Your on the right track... the longer the lever the more leverage indeed... however, you have to remember that the fulcrum is the key. A fulcrum closer to you, the harder the work you have to preform to get the job done... if you move the fulcrum closer to the load, then you have to exert less effort to move the item the same distance.
    With a fishing rod, the fulcrum is between our hands somewhere(generally near the reel), so the more rod you have out front, the more work you'll have provide to fight a fish...

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Maybe so,But my opinion is that a longer rod may or may not give the user MORE LEVERAGE,but it does GIVE MORE SHOCK ABSORBING QUALITY,thus you can fight a larger fish easier than on a shorter rod of the SAME strength.

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yes, with braid you need some give.

There's also a difference in steering the fish up to the top quick and pulling him towards you. A long rod also gets more line back per sweep. So as long as you've got the arm for it, a long rod will pull the fish in quicker, but not easier.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I THINK KENNY KNOWS ALL THIS STUFF, I DONT THINK WE GOT TO EVEN QWESTION THE GUY, hey kenny make a vidio explaining rods and all that stuff i think the boc would love that, i know i love them berkly glow rods, i had some dude bash me for that, but screw him their good rods, dont care what he thinks,they give me lift and alot of pull, not saying there by any means close to the best for bringing em in faster, just the best ive used yet

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It took me 5 minutes to land a 50-lb flathead on a 12 foot rod.

At the same spot, same river current.

It took me 15 minutes to land a 50-lb flathead on a 7foot heavy action rod.

I understand what everyone is saying, but I can fight a fish better on a long rod.

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yeah, but that's two different fish too. Each fish is going to fight differently. Maybe the fish on the 12 ft rod was just a lazy fat fish, while the fish on the shorter rod thought that it was Mike Tyson?

17. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here's my two cents. A buddy of mine has a Ugly Stik from about 9 years ago and its only 5'6 with 15-25 pound line capacity, or so it says. He has a Penn 330 with Big Game 50 lb on it and has brought in two 50s and one nearly 60 so far this year on that rod. I don't think a longer rod is going to make a very big difference at all when fighting a fish.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    same thing with me on a ten footer held hig, cant swear it was 50, but im 100 percent it was 48,but yea 5 minuts 50 pound braid on the lake

19. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    leagth all day bro.

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well theres so many things to fighting a fish, the rod is just a small part, you got the reel the way you fight him, but ive foght flats on a shorter rod and thed almost pull me in ,but on my ten footer, i could play em out and raies them up off the bottem more,but kenny says it just seems that way, so ill ask him ,he can tell you, but keep in mind casting distace and if your after blues or flats