Rod Length for Channels

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CaptainBrad, Dec 8, 2007.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have been reading articles and talking to many catfish people from all over and noticed over the past years that most people like short (6.5-7') stiff rods for fishing channels. I can understand wanting the short stout rods for fishing big blues and flatheads but not necesarily channels.

For the past four seasons I have been experimenting with different rods and have come to the conclusion that I like a longer, softer rod for fishing channel cats. The main reason I have moved to the longer rods are because when I get a ill temperred fish in heavy current the rod does most of the work rather than the reel.

What I want to know here is why do you prefer the channel rod that you use? Tell me why you prefer a shorter rod (if you do) and why.

Thanks in advance.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I mostly pond fish for channels and use my bass rods, 6'5" & 6'8".

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Me personally I was using a 6"6 rod. (which I just broke playing with the tip):beat_brick: It was a Shimano Stimula Rod medium heavy 8-17lb rating. Basically a heavier Bass rod. For channels I was using a Shimano 4000 series spinners. I mainly fish the Delaware river and for the most part semi-calm waters. The rod was sensitive enough that I could feel them pecking at it. For me it was not too soft nor neither too stiff. It kept things interesting for me when I landed 8 or 9lbers. I always put the rod down when I landed the fish as I knew from prior experience it would break if I tried to hoist a fish more than a pound with it. I feel that it was a better experience when catching the two pounders. Yet interesting enough when the 8 or 9lbers where caught. I never not been able to land a fish with this rod. I have caught large carp with it also. Now if ever did manage to land a 20lb channel with this rod who knows what might of happened............

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for channels i perfer a softer rod length isnt a big deal something in the15-30# line class rod. like a ugly cat, king kat, or whuppin stick

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i like to use a very flexible " slow action " tip rod when useing circle hooks
    here the flexible rod does the work for me as it allows the fish to pull enough slack to get that hook caught in the corner of the mouth
    and a stiffer FAST action tip when useing j hooks so as to be able to set the hook ASAP .
    my new favorite is the whoopin stick i have an 8 ft model that is a great circle hook ,channel pole

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    For fishing for Channels - my rod "can not be" no shorter that 8' & what you said is true - fishing in a river with a decent current flow - the longer the rod, the more control I have when fighting a Channel Cat.
    :wink:

7. bucktailjay

bucktailjay New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody tried the catfish safari channel cat rod?

8. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas

I seriously would like to second that question. I trying to decide between a the channel catfish rod or the flathead rod. I leaning towards the channel cat rod but wondered about using braided (65 lbs break strength /17lbs dia) line with it. Anybody fishing with them? Whats their difference from a standard Ugly stick medium action 7'?Dont get me wrong I really love the yellow blanks
    and the parabolic action are advertised for and this is why i seriously thinking of getting one for Christmas. :cool2:

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Chuck and Jayson,
    I don't own, but have used the Catfish Safari Channel Cat Rods. They have a fast tip (to detect the slightest bite) but plenty of backbone on down the rod. because of the smaller diameter of these rods they come with a high quality EVA foam handle instead of the cord wrap. THese rods are designed so that You can still have fun catching smaller channel cats while stil having a decent chance at landing a bigger fish if one happens to come by

The flathead rod is probibly the most versitile of all the Catfish Safari line. If I had to pick one rod to handle most angling situations, this would be the one. Although it would be a bit overkill for channel cats and take some of the fun out of catching them.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Durick;
    Brad, under the conditions your describing I have to agree with Brother's Carter and McGhee Jr. I too like a "softer" rod under those conditions and I have ALWAYS been a fan of the longer rods even when they were not popular no matter what the fishing conditions or Fish!
    None of my personal rods that I currently use are under 8' in length and the only other two are my wife's 6' ultralight that she hardly uses because she says it's too short {she uses a light 10' rod for most of her fishing for "Bait" fish} and one 6'6" cheap E-Glas Cabela's rod that a friend gave me years ago way back in the 20th Century.
    I have always seemed to cast better both further when needed and more accurately with the longer rods and have better control, as you have also noticed as you stated in your post, of the game when I am reeling it in to the net or bank.
    When you get right down to it, and this is an observation I have made many times in the past 45 years or so is that you should not necessarily use what the other person is using but rather you should, use what Works Best for YOU!
    No one rod, line, hook, bait, reel, ect, is going to work for everything from Black Marlin to Bluegill!This is where the Brothers and Sisters of the BOC come in! :wink::big_smile: as your finding out now!
    For example: If you should find you know absolutely nothing about a fish, or what style to use to catch it, or are not sure about a rod or reel, ect, ask your questions, take all the answers, find the extremes on both ends and make a choice in the middle area that YOU are comfortable with and you will be starting off in fine shape.
    After you get some experience under your belt you can then start going to the extremes! After you have caught {NOTE: I'm staying with Blues because that is where I am the strongest in my knowledge} a few Blues, maybe even fortunate enough to get a "BIGGUNN" you might decide you want to try catching those same "BIGGUN'S" with a light or Ultralight setup. But you would not want to necessarily do that the first time out if you have never went after Blues or never fished on the "Big Muddy".
    From what I am reading in your post, I think your doing just FINE!:wink::big_smile: And, you have given me some extra knowledge to file away too!
    I'm sorry, I got a bit long winded here!:embarassed: I sometimes have a bad habit of doing that!:sad2:
    But to answer your questions, I think your doing fine with that setup your using and your NOT alone in the equipment area either.
    Thank You for your question and for sharing your information too. I now have a tid-bit of information to file away in this empty space between my ears that I did not have before I read your post! :)
    Always feel free to post questions, and answers too, when your on the BOC Board. It's what the BOC is about; sharing information to help us all enjoy our fishing even more!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I will sometimes play hit and run with cut bait under a float rig for channels in the White River north if Indy and for this I like to use my carp gear I brought with me from the UK.
    11 foot rods and spinning reels. The extra length is great for mending the line and keeping the float rig going where I want it. At boat-side the extra length is not helpful at all but playing a good fish on them is great...W

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am a big fan of 7 ft rods with a med action. For the lakes I fish most I don't need super heavy action or gear for channels. I like the challenge of the lighter action poles and about 12-14 #test line. :eek:oooh::big_smile:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I mostly use 6'.6'' and 7' rods for all my catfishing needs.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    For channels I use 10 ft rods.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I bank fish early in the year HARD for channels, just for the fish fries I have at church ,feb- march-april to get enough for 2-3 frys and for myself thru-out the year.
    I do not use a rod over 8'6", most are 8'2" customs,and do the job fine:smile2:

16. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a Catfish Safari Channel rod and I wouldn't use anything else! What really makes the rod shine is the eyelets. They are stainless steel, big and strong! The rod is soft enough to cat live bait and lighter line if neeeded.

I also have a Berkley Big Game stick and an Ugly stick. I still have them on my backup/loaner reels. I'm not a snob, but after using the CS's rod, they don't see much use.

Jerry

17. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    there is no reason for a broom stick to catch channels
    7.6 - 8 ft med to med/hvy rod with a med to med/soft tip for circle hooks if you are using a kahle or anykind of slammer type hook med to med/heavy tip
    channels are alot of fun if your tackle lets it be if you are over gunned it can get boring real fast have fun with it mtch your rod to your fish if you get a bigger fish than your rod was ment for hang on its gonna get good lol tight lines and break some necks

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Since I fish shallow lakes from the bank , I need the length to cast out there. Right now I'm using a trio of Fox Warriors 2¾tc 12' rods, they're a bit much for a fiddler, but get a good play on eaters.
    At the moment, I'm thinking about trying some 13' surf rods to reach out and touch some fish.
    Will :004:

19. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I guess the more important thing for me in terms of choosing a channelcat rod isn't about the length but more about the strength. Don't get me wrong length is very important for long casts and a shorter length is good for boats and such. I pretty much will always stick to medium heavy rod strength - some types of rods' medium-heavy claim is a lot more flimsy than others. What it really comes down to is how you prefer fighting the fish. If you like a long hard run that where you really utilize the drag then go with a lighter sensitivity, if you want to yank a hog in as quick as you can then beef it up. Thats how I choose at least.

20. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    My longest pole is between 8 to 9 feet a good feel to it. My others are from 6 and half feet to 8 feet with my best handling pole being my h20 ocean fishing pole. Kinda just get use to what you have. All work good for me.