rod holders

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mankind, Oct 1, 2008.

1. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    just got off phone with tite-loc,my (2) bank rod holders will be shipped this eve can't wait to get them. antone else have them and whats your thoughts on them:roll_eyes:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the new holders, Be sure to provide us with a report.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a set. Their not too bad. I bent one of the uprights pretty bad and haven't used mine in a while. Their fairly sturdy though.

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    gee you don't sound very favorable towards them. are they junk?tell me about them:embarassed:

5. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    Why not make your own. It only cost about $3.50 each when I made 10. 1 piece of (I think) 5/8th rebar and a 10ft. piece of 2 -2 1/2 pvc pipe and the most expenseive part hose clamps. They work great I have used them several times and have had great results.

Attached Files:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No their not junk. Once I get better woke up I'll send you a PM.
    I can vouch that the ones Parker made are very, very nice and sturdy!

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    John went swimming because of them.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yes I did. Thats why mine is out of commission. :smile2:

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Why pay all theme dollars out when rebar ,hose clamps, and PVC pipe will do a hell of a job at a fraction of the cost???????????

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats very true. I got my tite lok bank rod holder free to test it out and give it a review on here. I can't justify paying that much $$$ out when they can be made so cheap.

11. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    are those rod holders for band fishin or boat? when i go bank fish which isnt much any more , i made mine out of pvc also but only thing i did was cut i piece of pvc about 2 ft long and at the bottom i would cut it back at an angle so it would go into the ground easy.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I build my own rod holder Mostly out of scrape metal and rebar.

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I prefer beeready rod holders. Bank or boat.

14. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    A log and a rock works good. If I can get it there a Chevy blazer does well also.:big_smile:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My oldest son likes heavy spinning gear and a pop can. He says ,I hate rod holders!!!

16. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky

Misterwhisker they are for bank fishing. They work great and cheap to make . The reason for the heavy rebar is around here you never know what kind of soil you are going to have if it is loose it will hold and if it it hard soil use a hammer. I like your idea I might try that too. Hope this helps.

17. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I use rod holders that are made from metal fence posts cut into 12 inch sections and rebar cut into 16 inch sections. The rebar is welded onto the bottom three inch part of the metal posts section. I then paint them in flourescent orange color so when I clean up to leave I can see them clearly if I have left them :embarassed:.

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I still prefer the bank holders by Driftmaster. The tops are the same used on boats. I hae also used 1/2" threaded rods for the bases and they work great also.
    [​IMG]

19. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky

I Like those how much are they?

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been a bank fisherman all my life and never used a rod holder of any kind until last year after a 47.9 lb Bluecat almost stoled my rod & reel while fishing a bluegill head in november. I was sitting on top of my rod with the rod layed over my cooler with a rock on the butt end. The massive cat hit so hard and fast that I looked, blinked, and just had time to grab the butt of the rod as it went into the water. The fish was stipping line off of the big spinning reel before I could get my hands on the rod. I jerked to set the hook and busted my ass on the slippery rocks and the fish helped to stand me back up on my feet. The battle lasted 20 minutes and ended with a nice fish on 20 lb mono.
    Since then, I have bought 6 heavy duty spiral rod holders and absolutely love them. They only cost 2.50 each and are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. I just cast out my rod....put it in the rod holder, adjust the drags on the spinning reels and flip on the clicker on the baitcasters, and sit back and relax and fish all night knowing that even if a 100 lb flathead gets my bait, I have time to get to my rods and they will still be there with the fish on. I caught a 67.2 lb Flathead this spring using the Heavy duty spiral bank rod holders, I was 100 yards from this pole. I was fishing a live green sunfish in about 4-6 foot of water. The Flathead took the bait and took off with it. The (9' rod was bent over double) and the pre-set drag was doing its thang. I got to the rod.....took it out of the holder....set the hook and the rest is history. After a good "CPR " the fish was off and swimming in about 90 seconds. If it had not been for the heavy duty rod holders....I probably would've missed this fish or lost my Penn r & r set-up. You can see this fish in the "Hall-of-fame" Kentucky 1 st place Flathead section. With the 6 bank rod holders....I can cover much more water and increase my odds greatly of catching another good one. There are no rod number restrictions here in Kentucky. But 6 is about all I think I will ever need.:big_smile: