Rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Jul 23, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    just got my boat together, and wondering how do you guys use 5 & 6 poles off the back of the boat without getting your lines tangled. really need help!!!:sad2::sad2::sad2:

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willie,
    I don't have that problem here in Iowa,as we are only permitted to have 2 rods per person,and I never have more than 1 other person with me when I go fishing. On my rod holder rack that I have across the back of my boat I have the rod holders spaced out far enough that 4 rods across the back has never been a problem. I don't think I would be able to have 6 across the back of my boat without running into a problem. I'm sure there will be someone come on that is running 6 across the back of their boat and help you out,I just had to throw my 2 cents in.
    Glenn

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, attached is a link to a post with pix of the rod holder rack I made for my boat the other day. We usually fish them straight off the back of the boat in the current, but on sandbars you can usually get a couple to hold 90 degrees out from the boat. Make sure you have enough weight on to keep them on bottom so they don't swing into your other lines with the current and you shold be golden. As far as a fish running across all of them and creating a giant mess, it happens sometimes no matter what you do. Best bet is to have your partner start reeling the other ones up out of the way if you get a big one on. good Luck!!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55029

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mine is basically the same deal as Branden's but made from aluminum and using different rod holders. We'll get a couple tangled up from time to time but nothing to fuss about. Depends on how wide your boat is, mine is 8' across so even with 6 rod holders, there's still good spacing. Here's the link from the Library:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38928

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Here's another idea for you:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51622

I regularly fish 5 rods at a time with very few if any tangles.

Part of the trick is to put out more line on the center rods than the outside rods - that way, when your bait on the outside rods washes down behind the boat, it's still not close to your center ones. Always reel in the outside rods first.

If you are really having a lot of problems with all your lines ending up in a ball behind the boat, you're probably not using enough weight.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

how much weight do you use? that could be it

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    On the Missouri I usually run 8 oz. 8 oz is enough to hold a couple poles out to the side of the boat on a sandbar and it works well in the currrent, too. If the river's up or if I'm in the main channel, I may run as much as 12 to 16 ounces if I really want to be sure to hold, but not very often. Good Luck!

Branden