Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Katmaster Jr., May 26, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, as most of you know we recently got a boat, well we have everything on it now except rod holders. I found some at the Bass Pro shop website for a good price. But do y'all think they look sturdy enough and stuff? And which one do you think would be best?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zakk.

Here's the picture of the rod holders.

Attached Files:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Those rod holders are pure junk! Trust me I tried them. Get a good set of Scotty rod holders. I made mine with the ideas here in the BOC library.
    Good luck!

3. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I had some similar to these and they worked the best.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I personally don't like any of the three, but if I was going to have to get one it would be B. I've had the other two and didn't like them. Others may have a different opinion though, that is just mine.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hey Zakk, By the looks of some of the fish you catch, those rod holders wouldn't be very good. I think those bigguns would rip those right off the boat brother....lol
    Keep lookin around, there are a whole better one on the market or look on ebay, they have several good ones. :big_smile:

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I haven't tried any of those and don't think I would, they look like they are built cheap.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would recomend the Berkely Quick Draw Rod Holders..they work the best for me, they are like 14 bucks a peice, and you can take the rod out and set the hook in one esay motion... Im not big on the holders that you have to mess with getting the pole out of the holder then setting the hook...I say Berkely quickdraws are the best, especially for the price

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Look for Driftmaster rod holders. You can buy the bases for the holders and move them where you need them when you need to. They also make them in different angles to hold your rod horizontal, 10 degrees, 25 degrees etc. I have 12 bases mounted around the perimeter of my boat and 9 rod holders. Run them all off the back of the boat for river fishing, or all around for crappie, trolling etc.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I bought both the above Quick Draw and the simular H2's from Cabela's. Both are made by Scotty for them. I liked the Quick Draw better, however, my Tiger Rods will not fit them, they are made for normal size rod butts. The H2's are slightly larger and the Tiger Rods fit nicely. The bases are interchangable, so I used the Quick Draw bases as extra's mounted down both sides of the boat. In all, I have 12 bases mounted. However, I normally only carry 4 holders. I highly recomend either type. I have heard a lot of good things on the Driftmasters, however, I have not personally used them. The first set you showed, the cheap ones, are cheap for a reason, they are junk in my book.

If I were you, I'd do a search here on rod holders. It's been discussed before and there is a lot of good advice from folks who have used all kinds.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The ones your looking at are crap... 1/2 the time they won't fit around the gunnels... then if they do they don't hold well on the boat, the metal will bend or give out under a 1/2 way decent fish, leaving you diving in the water after the rods... Don't waste the money on them...

There's a guy on Ebay who sells something similar to the driftmasters that BPS sells... he's got a couple different sets but its somewhere between $40-60 (works out to about 8-10 each with base, 10+ cheaper then The driftmasters sold at BPS ) for a set of 6 (plus bases for the 6 are included) Less the shipping cost which is like 8 or 13 i don't remember... i talked to him and he sells the extra bases for $2.50 so you can get the 6 rod holders and a few extra bases to have extra versility...

Another good option is the rodholders made by BEE READY, llc... They are simple, low profile and hold well and will not break or let the rods go... There should be a link somewhere on here... if not you can either go over to Tim Hagan's link and go to his store (he sells them) or you can use the link to the BEE READY site from his... I trust my rods with them... i actually just bought some for my project boat soon to be catfish boat once i'm done... The ones i have for shore fishing serve me well and i haven't lost a rod yet to it (the bucket ones)

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Zakk, Check out Tim Hagan Outdoors.com , an advertiser here. He has quality "bee ready" rod holders as well.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
  13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dang, I'm glad I didn't get those things then....LOL Willing to spend money on Rod Holders, don't want any crap. I like those PVC made ones, we might have to try that. I'm going to Bass Pro Shop tommorow night though, I might take a look at the driftmasters, I fished with "Bigblaze" and he had them on his boat, they are very sturdy, but I had trouble getting my pole out of them, but I think it was just me.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the advice, glad I asked about them.

Zakk

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    The main thing i considered was quality since i really didn't want to drill holes over and over in the boat. After fishing with some of these the rods will ride in them the whole time we are on the water even moving at top speeds. Super strong and well worth every penny. Cabela's 360's.

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/62-rodholders.JPG

15. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    I like the driftmasters, but I've never used another. If you go with the driftmasters, think about where in the boat you're going to place them. I have several of the horizontal ones, and sometimes worry that a fish will jerk the rod right out of the holder. I don't worry too much about it in water over 20 ft deep, but shallower than that, and the angle is getting pretty close to straight, but like dougc said, they come in various angles. I think I have 14 of the bases in my boat, and 6 rod holders, 3 of which, unfortunately, are horizontal. All but 2 of my bases are welded on, because I found a few of the screws working loose. However, I know several other people who use them, and have not had any problems with the screws working loose, so maybe I used the wrong screws? At any rate, I like the driftmasters. The ones in your post above, as pointed out by most everyone else, are junk. They're made for suckers.... or people who go out and catch a 5 pounder and ride him around in the back of the truck for 2 days! Judging from the pics you post, it wouldn't be long before they were ripped off your boat.

16. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a rodholder made by a company called santee rod holders. they are very similar to driftmaster. I like them in 15 or 25 degree. They are super nice a fish is not going to get them. you can even set the rod all the way in them & run 50 mph no problem. The picture shows aspinning outfit however the cradle is made for baitcasters.

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have 6 of the Bee-Ready holders in my boat and plan to add another 6 soon.
    Mine are round rail mounts but they sell all sorts of different mounts for different applications. I can adjust the angle on them by simply rotateing the mounts on the round rail and re-tighting them back down. I like the fact that they are low profile and don't get in the way of any thing. They are real easy to get your rod out of also when you have a fish on. The only down fall I've found with them is the mounts seem to loosen a little after time. I just carry a 7/16 wrench and a large phillips screw driver in the boat in case I want to adjust there angles or re-tighten them down. TIM HAGEN sell them on here and gives a very good discount to BOC members.
    I've hooked into a 65 lb. spoonbill while trolling for walleyes and they hold up fine. Very pleased w/them and plan to add more...

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, I'm almost sure I'm going to go with the driftmasters for now, because I've heard so many good things about them, might also end up getting a few of the "Bee Ready" rod holders because they look pretty sweet also.

Thanks for all input.

19. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Id go with the driftmasters never used any others talked about never had a rod come flyin out of them we use them mainly for trolling for stripers just make sure you tighten them all the way down hard or you will be sitting there trolling and a huge striper will nail ur bait and WHAMMM rod smacks u right in the face

20. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The best rod holders I have ever used are Draggers Carolina Special.
    Dragger builds them himself from 316 Stainless.He also makes the rod mounts. He builds them on different angles for all typs of fishing.I have 10 of them on my pontoon .Got a few pics