rod holders

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by rdwolf03, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    went tight lining on a river at angle holder do u use. i use 30 deg when i getting a pull down the take it so far and drop it . just wondering if i was using to much or not enough angle

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    what syle hooks are you using? clickers or no clickers?

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    if your using J-hooks you most likely need to set the hook. circles will set themselves. also keep in mind on the size bait to size hook. 30 should be good for an angle. are you fishing from boat or bank. if bank i would go to a 45 degree angle.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if i am tightlining with circle hooks i like 45 or higher.. the higher angle lets the rod really load up and start the hook digging in and gives them less chance to spit the hook..

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never go over 45 degree's here.

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i agree.. at least 45 for circles.. i like at least 60 when using circles

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I like the Duo rodholders that give you a degree option. Two companies make them. Monster and Driftmaster

Bill in SC

8. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm using j hooks 7/0thru 10/0 depends on bait size.I fish from boat . I just not sure what's going on they start to load pole and just when think it's time to set hook they drop it . So try to set earlyer and miss the fish.I make my own rod rack and holder I was going to modify it just try to fig. If I need to increas or decreas.

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Doug welcome to the BOC. From when I was doing my research on here before I bought my rod holders. 45 for tight line and 0 for drifting. Still haven't mounted them or tried em yet. But will get to it soon.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Doug I have the duos on my boat. The 45 d works good for me when drifting. Use the 0 when crappie fishing. Welcome to the BOC.

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would switch to 8/0 gamma circles when tight line'en.. Thats what circles are designed for... and i bet you wont miss half the fish your missing now..

With a J-Hook i would recomend once you get that first hit to hold the rod in your hand and when you feel them begin to load up set the hook...