Rod Holders would you buy?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by preshrd3cpy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Going to buy some rod holders and what do you like and work the best? thanks in advance.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Down East makes some great heavy duty rod holders. Definitely worth checking out. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bank, or boat fishing? For boats, MY choice is the Driftmaster 1/2 inch two position Pro Duos. I've seen every holder made, and nothing can compare to the Driftmaster in MHO. I can get you a BOC discount on them if needed. Just PM me.

Bill in SC

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    For shore fishing i use the delux spike rod holder from bass pro!!!less than 5 bucks and they rock!!!...boat monsters or drift masters!!

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id say that you cant go wrong with either DriftMasters or Monster Rod Holders.
    I have some DM and they are nice but I have been thinkin of tryin a few of the Monsters. They look like they would be awesome.
    http://www.monsterrodholders.com/

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    1/2 inch drift masters if ya got lots of cash monster rod holders

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    if ya got lots of cash monster rod holders[/QUOTE]

this statment puzzles me guys! i just dont know where you guys are gettin that!
    MONSTER ROD HOLDERS is a BOC sponsor and would like to continue to support the folks here!

so once again i have done a lil research and i have checked all the retail stores like bps and others and cant find the direct competition priced cheaper than monsters! so im wondering why you need lots of cash to purchase the monster rod holders!

now if you guys are only lookin at the deluxe 360*models bases with rod holders! yea your gonna need a lil cash! but they are the Cadillac of rod holders bases. and no other rod holder manufacture has anything comparable!

but as far as the heavy duty pro series rod holders, which were designed specifically for trophy cats! they are priced singularly at 24.95 which also includes the strongest heavy duty 4 point attachment base in the industry!

the competition sells the closest comparable model for 21.95 then you have to buy a base from 7.99 to 12.99! thats 29.94 or more!

but if you visited our website you will see that the monster has deals! the more you buy the cheaper they get!

examples include the heavy duty 4 point attatchment base......

2-4 ----------22.95
    6-10----------21.95
    12 or more-----20.95

we also have deals on the monster deluxe 360's

(ok guys lets see the competition do that! )

i am a fisherman first and foremost, and i wasnt even trying to get in the rod holder business! my interest is tournament competition! i just had a need for a better more versatile product so i made me some! then this guy wanted some and then this guy and so on! hence the birth of MONSTER ROD HOLDERS!

we now have rod holders in 29 states and have been growing strong for that last year and a half!

we are the (OFFICIAL ROD HOLDER FOR THE CABELAS KING KAT TOURNAMENT TRAIL!)

so as a fisherman first, i know it digs deep sometimes, to rig a boat for trophy cattin, so i made sure that you guys will get more bang for your buck with the monsters deals, along with more added benefits and features that the competition does not provide!

heres just a few feature and benefit examples below!

Attached Files:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I looked at the monster rod holders. They are great. But they are expensive as hell. Sorry man. But I found some that are made just as good. for 48 bucks for 6. 12 bucks shipping. Heavy duty fishing rod holders. Made from 3/8" steel rod and coated with a very durable plastisol coating. They are 100% satisfaction guaranteed. They come complete with base and wingnut for locking to base. This holder has approx, 6 inch stems and holds your fishing rod at approx.0- 30-45 degrees. Great for trolling and cat fishing, but also works well for crappie. Thats shipped to your door for the price of under the cost of 3 of yours. What I think they meant when they said if you have a lot of money to buy monster rod holders. You have the best bases around, and if you can afford it then its well worth it. But the common working man it is too much to pay 60 bucks or more for a rod holder. You do make a great rod holder, they are just alittle pricy. And you do give deals for the more you buy. Andrew

9. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Have to agree with Andrew...my buddy got these same package of 6 and they are the best rod holders for the money. They are no weld all bend, my buddy has them. I have 1/2 inch Pro Duos from Driftmaster and these are just as good for nearly 1/2 the price. The bases on these are also included. :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  10. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    well i hate to hear that, but everyone knows, you get what you pay for !

i am fimilar with the holders your talkin about, when i started this business i looked at that guy as a rod holder source for my deluxe bases, he sent me some samples, but they just didnt pass my criteria for large fish!

i lost a fish of a lifetime due to an inadequate rod holder and thats why the monsters came about!

but the rod holders you speak about, would work good tho for the week end angler, but there not even in the same catagory as the monsters or driftmaster! theres no shorts cut takein in the manfacturing of the monsters! they are made of 1/2 steel coated with durable plastisol and has a 100% guarantee plus lifetime warranty against breakage!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry Steve I cannot agree with you there. Monster rod holders are 1/8" thicker that's it. There is no way a fish is going to break 3/8 inch steel. they are strong. OK 1/2 inch is stronger. But unnecessary and too expensive. Like I said you make a great product. :big_smile:But for the price you cannot beat these rod holders.:tounge_out: I am all for supporting our sponsors, but will only support them if they support us. You should be giving BOC members a discount. :wink: But I cannot see spending twice the money for something that is not twice the product. Your swiveling bases are top notch. That part of your product is the best I have seen. but are too expensive, when I can just use the wingnut to lock it into any degree of rotation. If I had 500 bucks to spend, i would go with monster. No offense here man, I am just telling people what i think is a better deal.
    6 rod holders and 6 bases.:big_smile:
    bottom line half the price. Bases included. great product great buy.

12. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    well id be interested in seeing where you can get 1/2 in driftmaster pro duos for 1/2 the price of the monsters! send me the link!

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To be fair to Steve. I have never used his rod holders so I cannot judge them. So this is what i am going to do. I am going to buy a monster rod holder and test it for myself. Then I can write a fair review of these products. I was just basing my thoughts off from price and the great quality of the rod holders I have already. So to be fair. Steve I am ordering 2 of your rod holders on Friday when i get paid. Sorry if I offended you in any way. But I still think BOC sponsors should give BOC members more of a discount than they do. Everyone likes people who give discounts.:big_smile: Steve no hard feelings?

14. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    well i worked with paul and we did offer a great discount to members but very few ppl took advantage of it! and you have definently not offended me!

this thread started out comparing price of monsters to driftmasters! im not tryin to push my holders on anyone! they are selling just fine! however i see a few ppl think they are expensive, because they just see the deluxe base and holder for 59.95! however the deluxe base is not for everyone! i was just tryin to set the record straight, that the monster rod holder alone, the price is less expensive than other (name brand) holders!
    not the guy sellin on ebay! and that the monsters are just another option for anglers, with added features and benifits that other manufactures do not provide!

like i said i wasnt tryin to get in the rod holder business to just make money on a growing trend! (thats not my style!) it just kinda happened! id rather just fish! but if im gonna manufacture a product, it will be the best and useful for my fellow anglers, and not to just throw something together to make a profit!

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do agree with that. When I look at monster rod holders I look at the deluxe bases. I wish I could afford them. But you know uncle sam don't pay you enough to get rich. Then I got a wife I want to divorce that wants to take everything. So I do gotta go with the cheaper brands alot of the time. But I will keep my word and buy 2 of your rod holders and test them and compare them to other ones I do have. What part of Kentucky are you from?

16. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    My two cents is that the Monsters are priced right in line with others I have looked at and when I get back from Iraq they will be what I place on my boat. I like the large openings for larger poles and what looks to be easy removal of poles when loaded with a fish.

Now back to the issue at hand. If you are shore fishing you can but the basic holder that has a spiral, they are ok for the price. Look in the Library and see if you see one that can be made that you like. Good luck.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana

this statment puzzles me guys! i just dont know where you guys are gettin that!
    MONSTER ROD HOLDERS is a BOC sponsor and would like to continue to support the folks here!

so once again i have done a lil research and i have checked all the retail stores like bps and others and cant find the direct competition priced cheaper than monsters! so im wondering why you need lots of cash to purchase the monster rod holders!

now if you guys are only lookin at the deluxe 360*models bases with rod holders! yea your gonna need a lil cash! but they are the Cadillac of rod holders bases. and no other rod holder manufacture has anything comparable!

but as far as the heavy duty pro series rod holders, which were designed specifically for trophy cats! they are priced singularly at 24.95 which also includes the strongest heavy duty 4 point attachment base in the industry!

the competition sells the closest comparable model for 21.95 then you have to buy a base from 7.99 to 12.99! thats 29.94 or more!

but if you visited our website you will see that the monster has deals! the more you buy the cheaper they get!

examples include the heavy duty 4 point attatchment base......

2-4 ----------22.95
    6-10----------21.95
    12 or more-----20.95

we also have deals on the monster deluxe 360's

(ok guys lets see the competition do that! )

i am a fisherman first and foremost, and i wasnt even trying to get in the rod holder business! my interest is tournament competition! i just had a need for a better more versatile product so i made me some! then this guy wanted some and then this guy and so on! hence the birth of MONSTER ROD HOLDERS!

we now have rod holders in 29 states and have been growing strong for that last year and a half!

we are the (OFFICIAL ROD HOLDER FOR THE CABELAS KING KAT TOURNAMENT TRAIL!)

so as a fisherman first, i know it digs deep sometimes, to rig a boat for trophy cattin, so i made sure that you guys will get more bang for your buck with the monsters deals, along with more added benefits and features that the competition does not provide!

heres just a few feature and benefit examples below![/QUOTE] Go with the MONSTERS, I have tried all kinds & there is just nothing better !!! & the price is comparable. Support the B.O.C. !!! Steve has a GREAT product, well worth the money,give him a call & he will hook you up ...:wink:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have used both 3/8 and 1/2 inch rodholders. 3/8 AIN'T enough for BIG fish. The steel, whether it has a weld or not, will bend, sooner or later get metal fatigue and snap off. The 3/8 will suffice for a year or two, but after catching fish after fish on them, they WILL get weak and eventually fail. I haven't tried the Monsters. I do know they are WELL made, and the only negative thing I have HEARD about them was that the way they are designed, they are a little wider than a Driftmaster, and the reels tend to flop over in them. I can get the 1/2 inch Pro Duo Driftmasters for $17 each plus shipping for BOC members only. This includes the 1/2 inch wing nut. "Most anyone", can make a base to suit their specific needs for their particular boat. Monster does have the innovative deluxe base that is VERY nice for folks who can afford them. I applaud Pat for creating Monster rodholders, and I'm sure they will evolve with new innovations regularly.

Bill in SC

19. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    With the boat we just purchased we went with the 6 pack that SGTREDNECK talked about. They are pretty much just like the Driftmasters except they are one continuous piece and no weld. I really like that because every Driftmaster I've ever seen fail broke in the weld. When using these rod holders I see no difference in functionality or use from the Driftmasters.

The same guy also has 1/2 stems if you want them for not much more money. He will also upgrade your bases to the square bases with four mounting holes for $2 each, and he has rail clamp bases available.

I also agree that the 3/8 is all you need. I've had 3/8 Driftmasters on the old jon boat for years and years and no failure yet. The drag starts slipping and the boat starts moving long before the holder even starts flexing. You could use them for an anchor or dock tie down if you wanted.

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am going with the 1/2inch duo driftmasters one tough rod holder:wink: Dont have to adjust it, twist it, raise it , lower it just move the rod in the slot ya want to use, takes massive size rod butts, just grab the rod and lift comes out easy:wink: most my friends have them aint seen one break yet, someone said dont need bigger than 3/8's ya might if ya bounce off a dead tree:eek:oooh: trip and fall on it:eek:oooh: get tangled up on it:eek:oooh: catch the throw net on it, people tugging on it to see how strong they are:eek:oooh: Tell David Big Sam sent ya see what he does for ya:wink: