Rod holders, what do you use?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by LiquidSteel, Sep 17, 2006.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ok, I bank fish, like alot of you good people. I have some really old rod holder, and they are going to need to be replaced. I was curious as to what brand you all use, or do you have a home made kind, or do you walk around until you find a good "Y" shaped tree branch? I found a brand on ebay called wopper stopper. But the guy has sold out of them. Pretty impressive rod holder, as it holds it a 45 degree angle. And it has two iron steaks that hold it in. I would love to hear what yall use!

Kenny

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i usually use my bait cooler to set my rod up on. id like to make a rod holder.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The library has several GREAT ideas for rod holders to use when bank fishing. They all look preety easy to make and inexpensive too. I took three pieces of pcv pipe and two "T" adapters to make one. I will post a pic when I get back from Florida. I pu the t's about halfway up two of the pieces and leave the third one alone. tie the three together like a teepee at the top one pole on the middle and the t's hold the other two light and easy

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for reminding me about the Library! Its a good thing I wear a name tag at work, or Id forget who I was. I was gonna give ya reps, but it told me to spread it around. But thanks again!!!!

Kenny

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I use a piece of pvc pipe, Some aluminum angle stock. Lay the pvc in the angle stock and clamp together with a couple metal strap clamps.Same as radiator hose clamps. Drive it into the ground at what ever angle you desire.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can also mount pvc rod holders on the cooler. Just have to drill holes, if that doesn't bother your. Another idea is to get one of the heavy duty milk crates like grocery stores use and mount pvc holder to it. Fill the crate with your stuff to give it weight or put in stones or barbel plates. The latter weights can get a bit cumbersome to carry around.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I use netmanjacks style holders , see library . They are the best I have ever used .

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I actually conned my wife into making me two really fine rod holders.We had a lot of fun working on the project together, mostly at night after work.The rod holders worked fine for about 12 years then they dicovered girls and wanted to start "working " on projects of their own.Unfortunately the rod holders finally grew up and left home and now have rodholders of their own.I never had to worry about pvc pipe ,forked sticks,etcetc.Just go fishing and hand the rods to my two sons.Got a might testy though when there was a fish on because the rodholders didn't want to hand the rod over sometimes but things worked out.Now I have a Stepgrandson rodholder and a Grandson rodholder that are coming along nicely.:lol: :roll_eyes: :cool2: :eek:oooh: :smile2:

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    we own a electrical supply house in laplace, la, so what i did was took a 20" piece of 1-1/2" sch.40 pvc, 2- 1/2" & 2- 1-1/2" stand-off straps, and a 15" piece of a 5/8" ground rod. connected the 1-1/2" s.o straps to the 1/2" s.o. straps with a nut and bolt, clamped the 1-1/2" s.o. strap combo to the 1-1/2" pipe, then clamped the ground rod to the 1/2" side of the s.o. strap combo...and kazaam...rod holder!! and it kicks ass! i love em'!
    i'll post a pic next time i go out and take one.
    shaun

10. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    those things look simple to make

11. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I call mine pig tails. You can get them at Catfish Connection. It's a 12 inch round piece of steel rod that turns into a spiral. They work awesome on sand and rocks. They come in 2 sizes. Get the bigger ones if you're going to use 10 foot rods or better. They're $2.50 each. I highly recommend them. They're under Rods and Accessories at catfishconnection's online catalog.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    if im somewhere where its a mud or sand bank, i use pvc pipe. if im somewhere the grounds to hard i just prop my rods on my cooler and tackle box.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Kenny like was already mentioned in above posts go to the library there are some good ones in there you can make out if pcv plastic pipe and they work Great! very inexpensive also.your Friend J.D.

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kenny, I have been using these coil rod holders and they are awsome.. I dont have the camera on me at the moment or i would take a picture.. but i will here before the night is over... you can stick them in the ground at any angle and they work great. They spring to give a little bit of flex when tight line fishing or with my clickers on.... walmart sells a small version of this. but some of your local bait stores my have them.... just ask around.. but the are like 3 or 4 bucks apiece.. i may just find out how much it would be to send you a few in the mail....

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I use a Fox Horizon pod. It's great, I can use it anywhere. On the dirt, on concrete, on the rocks.

Attached Files:

16. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    now that has to be the most expensive rod holders ever by the time you feed cloth and whatever else they think they need lol good one though

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I make my own.I use some fairly light steel round pipe ,cut it about 10-12" long ,then I use Electric fence post cut 10-12" long.Weld the two together and there you have it. A pole holder that will last a life time(if you don't go off and forget them on the bank somewhere that is) Pretty cheap to make really. And better than store bought.
    The last ones I made I made out of an ole coffee table that had those light steel black legs. If you can find any of them they work great.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i make my own out of 5/8 steel rod with a piece of 2inch pipe capped off with strap the pipe being about 2 inches long for the cup fot the rod butt then about 16 inches up from that and in line on the same side i weld a piece of 1/4 x2 inch strap about 6 inches long which is bent into a U or V shape to hold the rod and keep it from slipping to the side just under the cup i weld a short piece of flat to prevent it from turning leave enough rod above the U to drive in the ground thtse worg great and have held 70 lb fish you can make the bottom portion as long as you need ive found 10 to 12 inches to work well uver all length is around 30 inches ill post pics when i get a scanner

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I thought this one was in the library, but couldn't find it... so I'll post the pic to let you see what it is... LOL It has my 15 and 16 foot poles so it will handle just about everything you want to put in it.

Attached Files:

20. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thats mighty impressive! Just one question, how do you anchor it to the ground so some huge monster doesnt drag the whole thing in the lake? Another question, here in Nebraska (Indian name meaning loses to Sooners):tounge_out: we are allowed to fish two poles per person, is this the same down in Oklahoma?

Tight lines to ya!!!

Kenny