Rod Holders vs. holding there fishing rods?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rockin' Blues, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    how many people prefer to hold there rods istead of using rod holders?

2. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I almost always use rod holders unless I'm getting a soft bite. Then I'll pick the rod up and hold it so I can tell when they take it. I also hold the rod when I'm drift fishing. Its easier for me to tell the difference between the bottom and a bite that way.

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when i tie on circle hooks i put my rods in holders. when i'm boat fishing above a snag i cast out 1 rod with a circle and stick it in the holder and then use my other rod with a j hook wich i keep in my hand. bank fishing for flatheads i use a holder just cause i get tired of holding my heavy penn reel

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use rod holders unless i'm fishing a small or stream. I feel fish can sence when you are holding onto your rod from you moving it around and sending vibrations down the line.

5. trlrtrash

trlrtrash New Member

State:
    prairie du chien wi.
    i used to hold my rods, however learned my lesson last year...fishing from my boat, had two rods out for channels, and one in my hand for flatheads...about 2:00 AM dosed off...clicker went off i woke up..too late..lost good rod and reel...and the fish...holders for me

6. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    After Being A 3 Time Professional Rod Diving Champion, I Have Found That Rod Holders Are A Catfishermans Best Friend. Lol. I Have Lost A Few Due To Unexpected Events In The Last Few Years. Now I Don't Leave Home Without Them. Also, Having Children Around, I Find Myself Attending To Their Needs And Forgeting About My Own Activities. Rod Holders Have Saved My Equipment More Than A Few Times. Besides, They Are So Cheap That They Have Paid For Themselves Many Times Over.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    since I have started using circle hooks, I put them in the rod holders all the time, and don't touch them until it's loaded up good, then just pick it up and reel it in. Almost to easy

8. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    its a rodpod for me as i think i might get tired of holding a 9 foot rod for to long and plus i fish with 3 rods

9. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually use a rod holder.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Use Rod Holders.

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I use rod holders, because I get tired of holding my stuff. That is of course unless I have been getting a soft bite, at which point I will hold on to the rod and wait for the little sucker to take it. Then BLAM. I catfish more for the relaxation (although I rarely get to lol) and I like to look at the stars and stuff instead of staring at my pole all the time. Thats why I like clickers and bells.

12. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I usually hold my own rod or just lay it again the boat, but on ebay i just purchased 4 rod holders going to try and break that habbit of just laying my rod again the boat.

13. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use rod holders. I saw too many rods go in the lake from people that just laid them down and turned their backs.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Definitely like my rod holders!

15. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    rodholder for fishing. not for bait fishing

16. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rod holders most of the time.

17. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i use rod holders when drifting or tightlining,generally hold it when bobber fishing too keep the slack out

18. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Rod holders! Its kind of hard to hold 4-6 rods at one time. LOL

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rodholders for me. Have you ever tried holding 3 to 8 poles in two arms? lol The only time I touch a rod to fish is to feel when to set the hook on the light bite. When I am drifting the rods are also in the holders most of the time. Vern

20. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use rod holders especaly with circle hooks but when im using kahles or trebels hooks like that i sometimes hold it if there just nipping at the bait and i need to set the hook in between nips lol.