Rod Holders for Traveling and Deck Space

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bwhupp, Feb 16, 2009.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    After going to Bass Pro Shop yesterday, I saw some cheaply made rod holders out of plastic that cost a premium! I was shocked and that made me make my own. The purpose of these are to save space in the boat while traveling on the lake or river. It also helps when baiting and changing out lures, tackle, or removing fish.

This boat rod holder cost roughly 5-10 bucks each. I have 2 for my boat, one for the front and one for the back, as it is a bass boat converted. Here is what it looks like.... further on I will break down what it takes to build one.

[​IMG]

Materials:
    Base plate was found with the galvanized threaded pipe. Screw base plate to boat deck.

Pipe is ¾” X 10” Galvanized pipe. Found back with the gas piping in plumbing section.

2 conduit locknuts that fit the threaded pipe.

The PVC was some I had laying around the house. It is a 2” Schedule 40 PVC.

[​IMG]

Fabrication:

I cut the PVC to 34” long. Started drilling holes 2” from end and added one every 6” to the center of the next hole. This particular holder will hold 6 rods. Hole size depends on thickness of rod handles. I have different thicknesses, so I customized my holes to fit my rods.

Insert the pipe through the bottom portion of the PVC pipe.
    Start threading the first of two ¾” rigid conduit locknuts on the pipe. Finish inserting the pipe through the top of the PVC. Secure the second locknut on the pipe.

This method will allow you to remove the holder during long travels. I leave the base plate screwed to the boat and simply screw on my rod holder once I get to my fishing hole.

I also use these bases for a 'fishing rod holder' that are very similar to what was made above. Instead of the pve tube, I used steel square stock and put 2 driftmasters on it. It also has the same pipe that screws into the same exact base plate. This way, behind me I have the above and in front of me is the drift master. I will post my driftmaster fishing rod holder later when I have more time.

Happy Fishing!

2. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    thanx for sharing...coll idea./:cool2: simple is better I like simple ideas in such a high tec world. ....I have a question ? would end caps on yhe PVC give this more ridgedness/suport like i said this is a question I'm in no way diss'n this at all . cause i like the idea alot, may even use it! for myself BIG THANX for the info an PICS

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am not sure if the caps would add much to it or not. The PVC is thick enough that it is not showing any signs of weakness. As time goes though, if it does, I will just shorten the rod holder to accept maybe 4 rods instead.

I use this exact same method for my drift masters as well. Instead of PVC, I use heavy square steel which has the drift masters mounted on it. I am not a welder, so they are bolted down through the square stock steel. It is VERY strong and sturdy! I think I could latch into a whale and it wouldn't bend. :smile2:

I use the same bases and have 4 mounted on the boat. I sideways drift fish so behind me would be where I put these rod holders, while in front would naturally be the drifting rod holders with drift masters.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian thanks for sharing a neat idea. That is good coming from an Old School Teacher.

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    good idea bet that could even be adapted for the shore

6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i also driff sideways works realgood