Rod holders for my boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Leiter, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats the best rod holder for a 14' deep vee Aluminum, I've been looking at alot of them on E-bay. I'm thinking of getting the coated metal holders, Just not sure how well they secure the rod compared to the plastic sidemount ones at wal-mart? And what angle is best? Thanks in advance. Leiter.

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    A Very Good Question Brother, Check Out The Library Here And You'll Find Alot Of Information That Your Looking For. Good Luck

3. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I do not trust the plastic rod holders.Anyone fishing in my boat will be setting their rod in one of my steel rod holders or hold it in their hand.But then again you will find peaple who love those plastic holders.It is all a matter of OPINION.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i like the driftmaster rod holders.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Scotty and Ram both make fine non metal rod holders that perform as well as metal ones, sometimes better.

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This one was develped for the Havana 2002 USCats tournament we used. Several have evolved from it now out on the market. These were designed to sit down in the chair bases in the various places in our boat when needed. They worked very well as you could set the hook on the rod by yanking it out of the rod holders at that angle to start the fight we all enjoy with a Trophy in our Sport. Thought you all would enjoy a piece of Catfishing history that was used back then...

Attached Files:

• PH21.jpg
      PH21.jpg
      File size:
      20.2 KB
      Views:
  7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have only drift masters on my boat tried diffrent types, Found i like the Drift master better they have two types, lil pro is a 3/8" shaft and the pro serries is 1/2" shaft, also the comes in right and left hand tread, use the right had tread on the port side and left hand tread on the starbor side, I got the 0 and 20 degree angles. I found them to be very secure holding the rod. Also if you want a longer shaft on them drift master will custom make them by calling, they will make longer shafts for a small fee. I needed ones about 10" long and it cost me $7.00 extra this is not an extention it is 10" drift master. They also offer diffrent mounting soulitions to best fit your needs.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I got some plastic ones from Bass Pro, and got them because they were cheap, well they work fine for not using a clicker, and I have bumped them into the boat docks and stuff and they did not bend or break, but for tightlining I would not trust them very much. I have used the Driftmasters on other peoples boat, and they are very nice and dependable, when we fix our bigger boat I will be putting driftmasters on it for sure.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have ones like the driftmasters on my boat I got them on ebay for around 8 a piece with the bases but we had to fabricate mounts for them. I also got 4 extra bases and can set them up depending on where the current points me.
    Some of them arent coated with rubber so make sure you get the ones that are coated.

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There are a lot of different type rod holders, I have never found one that I like, so I build my own, they are 3/8' dia. with a 1/2' stem, I use 90 deg. for fishing live bait straight down, and when I driftfish I use 25 deg. because I have app. 200 ft of line out on 6 rods on my toon. I never use plastic. I will not put a 150.00 rod and reel in a 20.00 rod holder. I have my rod holders on a lot of boats at santee. they have a name down there for them,but I can't say it on here. They look a little like the driftmaster.(just a little) I've made these rod holders for 20 yrs and have never lost a rod and reel in one. I have had fish break a few rods before I could get to them because of fighting another fish...........steve

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I use Driftmaster Pro rod holders that cost about $18 each plus the base (another $8) and I can guarantee they'll hold anything you can put in it.

I don't plan to buy any more rod holders as long as I fish -- these will move with me from boat to boat.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the cheap DriftMaster knock-offs sold on eBay, but apparently some folks here have good results. All I know is my Driftmasters are guaranteed for life.

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have the attwoods from WM they work fine for me.but the lake i fish don't have monsters in them

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I run a bass boat so I use a rod holder thats a little "different"- but if I was running yours Id go with driftmasters, Its what I used to have on my smaller boat, they worked very nicely.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use the berkely "quick set" rod holders on my boat..I tight line and have had 2 fish over 50 lbs take the pole down since i got them, and they held up and worked beutifully...I really like them, plus you can take the rod out and set the hook all in one motion rather than pulling your rod forward then setting the hook....Thats why i bought them

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have 20 Attwood bases on my rig and a dozen rodholders of the same. Yes, they are plastic and are purchased from walmart, but I have yet to break one. I tightline exclusively and have caught many large fish on them with no problem. They have a locking device on them to keep your rod from coming out. I have never used the locking device and have never lost a rod from one yet. Vern

16. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats a huge freakin flattie vernon

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Driftmasters is what I use and will aways use. Sure they cost a lot more but I know there not going to crack like plastic will.

18. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    I use the Ram rod holders. I fish the Missippy river and they have held up to lots of pressure from big fish in heavy current. They are plastic but have never had one brake. They also have lots of adjustment from side to side and up and down.

19. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    U got that right.....I use em to.......Plus I like the way u can adjust em,any angle.........:0a27:

20. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I use the cabella,s hard plastic ones myself. They are kind of pricey but they work really good and you can ajust them to fish in any angle