Rod holders for LOWE

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by smokeeater3302, Feb 1, 2008.

1. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have an 18' Lowe that I cant find Rod holders that will mount in the service rail . I use my boat for everything from deer to waterfowl , and everything in between . I dont want something that is going to get in the way when Im not Fishing . If any one know about a rod holder , or bracket that would let me use the service rail on my boat that would be great

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you brought this up! A buddy of mine bought an Xpress johnboat a couple years ago. It has accessory rails too. We looked around, and never came up with anything as far as rod holders go. It would easy enough to make brackets for it, but we never have...yet. Here's a link with some rail mounted accessories, including rod holders. Guess you could either order something from them, or get an idea how to go about making something. I don't know if the rails are the same or not. These look the same as the ones on the Xpress.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Here is what I made for my Lowe.
    Would something like I did work for you?

Attached Files:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri

Did I forget to post the link?:embarassed:

Dave, your brackets look nice.:big_smile:

http://www.wareagleboats.com/accessories/rail-products.asp

5. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    Dave ,
    If you could share how you made those that would be great . It's exactly what I was looking for . That way I could take off the rod holders and not have anything that I would trip over in the dark , or fall and impale my self . When Im pulling in deer /dogs/buddies things like that

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    First thing it took a lot of time to make them using the tools I have. Mostly wood working equipment. A good miter saw, small band saw, a Delta 5 hp table saw (uni-saw), small trim router, drill press, sanders, drill bits various sizes, taps, (1/2" right and left hand threads) and lots of time / patience. I bought a length of 1"x1" 6061 aluminum square rod stock.
    I cut a couple to length here at home, then figure it would be better just to have a machine shop cut them to length on a large band saw. That worked out much better and I got 30 blocks cut for $20 I believe. I would have spent more than that in blades.
    If memory serves me they are 2&1/2" long. I then ran them each though the table saw to make the tenon to fit into the t-track. This took a lot of time and several passes on each block to get it right. I had to take small amounts of material off with each pass. I also had to put a slight angle on the very bottom 1/8" of each block to account for the angle at the bottom of the t-track. I cannot remember the angle but I can get better measurements if you are interested after you see what goes into making them.
    Next I measured and drilled holes on each side of the face of the blocks for the mounting bolts. These holes are thru holes and are not tapped for threads. Then I had to drill thru holes from the top to the bottom of each block and these had to be tapped for the size and direction of the threads on the holders I would be using. In my case it was 1/2" right and left hand threads.
    Next i used a 1/4" round over bit in a small trim router to round over all the edges that would be exposed toward the inside of the boat. (If that makes any sense?) Then came some sanding to remove and further sharp edges that might be an issue down the road.
    I would roughly guess I have about 40 hours work in the 30 blocks that I have finished for my boat. I am not the fastest nor did i want to be in any hurry with them. With the tools i used it took much longer than if I would have had the proper metal working tools.
    I sent one of the mounts to Dinger66 and he had some made up pretty quickly at a machine shop. He said they fit the rails on his Alumicraft and I also think they would work on some of the Lunds with the t-track. Not sure on that. Maybe he will post a few pictures and info on what he had done.
    I had to notch the top lip of the t-track to get the square nuts into the track. I did this under the corner cap in the main back of the boat, that way the notch is hidden.
    I use all stainless Allen head button cap bolts and stainless square head nuts to attach the blocks to the track. Can't recall the size of the fasteners right now (I am thinking 5/16" but not sure) but I can get that for you if need be. I can also get better measurements, pics and details on them if need be.
    I don't know how many out there would have the time or tools to make these for themselves. I (my wife) had thought about me making some a selling them but I can't put that much time into them and sell them cheap. Machine shops in my area wanted a small fortune to make them like I did, so that option was out.
    These pictures are from the first two I made but they are in daylight and outside. Might make it easier to see more about them.

Whistler or other BOC staff,
    If this info might be a possible item worth putting in the library I would be glad to do a better write up with the details and pics.

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Them look pretty, you need to make them and sell them. I need 4 for my Roughneck.

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey thanks big dav

I'm headed to Menards to see if i can find the track.
    I wonder if the stuff they use for track lights would be heavy enough???
    the best to ya
    just

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The track light products are no where near as tough as the track that is made into the gunnel on these boats.:big_smile:

Thanks,
    David

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I had thought about that. Just don't know if I could put the time it takes to make them in and get what would be a fair price for me and the buyer.:roll_eyes:
    If you only need four, I may have that many left over after I finish my boat. I might be able to help you out with four of them but won't know until I am finished. What do you guys think would be a fair price to pay for just the mount. You would have to find your own square nuts and bolts. I just don't have enough to sale any. I could let you know a source and what you would need.

Thanks
    David

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is that what you are using in the channel is a square nut??? I never thought of that. lol

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Yes sir, that is what I used. I ordered some Stainless Steel square nuts that fit perfect int he track. I had to notch the track to get them in the track. I did that under the rear corner plates so it would not be seen. I will try to get some more pictures and specs on the hardware sometime this week. I will post that info when I have it. :big_smile:
    How do you submit something for the library?

Thanks
    David

13. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    I'm new here, just getting into the cats I'm rigging a new 1660 Alweld and trying to get my ten so I can see some of these pict. thanks for the good info. I have been thinking about mounting pin base in floor for holder.

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jerry,
    Welcome to the BOC and congrats on the 10th post. :big_smile:

Thanks
    David

15. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    finally got to look at your work dave and it looks great. I always like to llok a anothers ideas.

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dave,

I can make my own up. I just never gave it a thought that a square nut would work. I feel so stupid, something so simple., and I missed it. lol I'll make up some brackets, bend some rod holders up.

:big_smile::smile2::big_smile:

17. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 2007 roughneck with the same trouble. Today I went to Home Depot and in the plumbing section I found a bolt that has an oblong head instead of hex head. you put it in chanel and turn it and it seems like you could pull the boat with no trouble. Problem solved. It is used for holding a toilet down and made of brass. There are two sizes 5/16 and 1/4 The 5/16 doesn't fit in the chanel but the 1/4 goes Right in. It is called Toilet bolt set E_Z snap by fluid master. Brass 1/4 by 2 & 1/4. It will be to long and will be needed to cut to the length you need. They work real well, try it you'll like it. ....sb

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Good idea Hal,
    I think the factory Lowe accessories are mounted with a similar bolt. That track system is stronger than it looks if you get a fastener locked behind it.
    Thanks for sharing the idea.

Here is the measurements and write up i said I would try to do for everyone.

The size of the fasteners I used a 3/8" stainless button head Allen bolts x 1&1/4" long. (See photo #1 for part number) The square nuts are 3/8" x 16 thread (See photo #2 for part number). The overall dimensions of the square nuts are 0.61 x 0.61 square x 0.248 inch thick. The way I machined down the 1"x1" blocks the threads on the 1&1/4" long bolt just comes to the back edge of the square nut when all is tight. (see photo #3)

More info and photos in next post.

Attached Files:

19. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Here is picture #3 to go with the previous post. (ran out of time to edit).:big_smile:

More in next post.

Attached Files:

20. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The blocks themselves are 1" x 1" x 2.5". I machined them from 6061 aluminum bar stock. There is a tenon (0.3720 inch or just under 3/8 inch tall x .0735 inch thick, the height and thickness of the opening to the t-track) along the length of the back of each block that runs the length of the block. (see photo #4 in the next post) This tenon locks into the track rail and stops any possibility of the block and anything that is mounted to it from moving front to back (in line with the boat).
    There are two 3/8" holes (spaced 1/2" in from the ends and centered on the block) from front to back of the mounts. The holes are for securing the mounts to the t-track using the stainless hardware mentioned above. There is a third hole (centered front to back and side to side on the blocks) that is drilled and tapped to fit the desired rod holders. In my case they are both right and left hand thread to accommodate my 1/2" shaft drift-master rod holders. (See photo #5 below)
    There is a angled miter on the bottom / inside edge of each block to match the angle of the t-track. This was a 11 degree angle on mine and is 1/8" in height. this may changed and needs to be measured and machined to you boat. (see photo #6)