Rod Holders for a Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Tubby Catfishin, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey guys Im needin a lil help. Ive got a 14' jon boat and would like to find or make some kind of rod holders that wont fall apart or break the first time I try to use them!! Any Ideas??????

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Look at the BOC sponsors for Tite-Lok rod holders. I hear they are awesome. Hope this helps.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
  4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jonathan,
    I found my rod holders from within the BOC library. They are made from PVC pipe that I mounted on a 2x4 and mounted across the back of my 16 foot Jon. Later today I'll take a picture of them and how they are mounted for you to look at. rspd507

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I have them cabelas qwickdraws ,had that fish in my avatar hit them ,they hardly flinched ,wouldnt have anything else.

6. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Jonathan, there are several good ones on the market but I've used Driftmasters for decades. They work when you're anchored, drifting or whatever. I've got the Little Pro Duo model on my boat right now.

There are probably some other good products out there but I recommend Drift Masters.

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ya need to check on this site,ive made some from the pics ive see in here,and believe me brother they are cheap and they work..Most i have made are made of pvc pipe,pvc pipe is the best thing since peanutbutter..Of course a welder helps too,thats why i have 2 of em lol..

8. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    This is what I done last year just before Huntin season came in Ill try to get some more on here! They hold the rods Just fine but I dont know if they'll stay in place if I actually ever hook up w/ one of those big boys?

Attached Files:

9. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got aluminum angle iron from Lowes. I cut them into about 8-10 inch pieces, and used 1/4 screws to mount this to the side of the boat in mutiple places. The aluminum will not rust. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the top and placed the pro driftmaster rod holders in these. I used to 1/4 holes in the side and one on the top. I used the driftmasters set at a 45' angle. These work great and will hold even the biggest cat without problems. I did have to replace the wing nut that comes with the driftmaster holders, with just a plain stainless 1/4 nut from Lowes. Hope this helps and any questions simply PM me.

10. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Well it took me 20 min but I got a few more on here for yall to see!!

Attached Files:

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I would round them corners off a little bit if they were mine.. When grabbing pole with fish on, in the excitement of the battle those corners might hurt..

12. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jonathan,
    My rod holders are exactly the same design, however mine are mounted different. Mine are mounted on a 2x4 with lag bolts. They are solid as a rock. Ive had fish just flat bury the rod in the holders with no problems. Here are some pictures of how they are mounted. Hope this idea helps you. rspd507

Attached Files:

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I made 6 pvc rodholders like yours.
    I have never caught a big one with them but during an unfortunate situation where I was towed several miles by a pontoon boat one of the holders was severely beaten up by the tow boat which constantly rode up on it. It did not break or come loose.
    I have a lot of confidence it will hold up to a big fish.
    My boat has a rectangular rail which I used to clamp the pvc to.
    The clamps are the kind used by electricians and plumbers to hang pipe and conduit inside buildings.

good luck
    just

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I made the same PVC rod holders for my boat. I was to lazy to take my poles out and put them on the deck so I left my poles in the holders one day as I headed back to the dock. When I got there I notice one pole doubled over and though what the heck. My hook had come out of the eye while traveling and got wrapped in the prop:angry:. The pole stayed in the holder the whole time, so I now am confident they can stand up to a descent size fish. 3 hours later I got all my line off the prop:angry:

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have a 16' jon that I took 2" pvc ran it the length of the floor on both sides, front and back. I have the pvc mounted about 6" off the floor of the boat mounted against the ribs. I then cut holes every 8" so the butt of the pole goes through the hole and bottom of the pole rests on the floor. The pole then rest against the top rail of the boat. This works for me no matter how I have the boat tied off I have a pole holder. I have had the poles bent over touching the water and actually two poles broke but my rod holder system work! They are easy to get out when you have a good run.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i would like to see pictures if possible.... thanks

17. 07Fatboy

07Fatboy New Member

State:
    KY
    I wanted to try the Cabela's Quickdraws but they won't fit on my boat because the gunwale top is 3" wide.

18. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Jonathan i made some like you have on your boat for bank fishing 1" angle with a small L bracket welded to the top popriveted the 4" pvc cut like yours to the top and they work great,,found the idea on the 4"pvc on here..i just added to it.We almost are neighbors i live at high rock..

19. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Wish I lived @ High Rock Don .... but then Id be FIRED:embarassed: cuz Id always be fishin and forget where work is:smile2:

20. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ross, how'd you secure the boards to the aluminum? Did you screw em down or just wedge the smaller board in?

Thanks