Rod Holders advice....

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by john103, Dec 22, 2007.

1. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well, I finally bought my first boat, it's only a Alumacraft 1648, but it'll do the job. I have no idea on how to install rod holders to it's sides? I dont think it would be wise to drill any holes but I heard those clamp on fastners aren't the greatest for big cats either. Any advice? Newby here to this.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hit the BOC Library, there are tons of ideas and how-to's for rod holders listed there:big_smile:

3. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I just found it. Great stuff, thank you.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC John.... looks like you found the link to pole holders. I'd say get some pvc pipe and cut some 8" pieces up and experiment with attaching to the seats on the middle seat left and right and try that for a while...good for trolling if you do that, and in time you'll know what you want to spend the money on.....

Two holes. Start with one to clear the sheet metal screw size, and then open the outer hole to clear the screwdriver.....

Merry Christmas... Bayrunner Ray

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jon,
    First welcome to the BOC and a big Congratulations
    one the new boat.

What type of waters will you be setting the boat up to fish. Rivers, lakes, both? You should find some great ideas in the library and you can do a search for rod holders using the search button. If you have any question just ask and someone will be happy to try and give you the answer you are looking for.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
    David

6. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'll do alot of Lake fishing but my son-in-law loves the rock river, so i'm sure we will spend quality time there as well, so basically going to do both,,
    Thanks for the input..

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i tried and used many home made rodholders from pvc to pipe to angle iron and in the long run i would just buy the drift masters . any kind of pipe or pvc its hard to get the rods out with a big fish. the duel driftmasters have 2 different angles u can use and very very easy to get the rod out when u get a bite only need to stick a couple inches of the butt in them and i like the 1/2 inch best never had one fail yet or bend . they around 15 to 20 bucks. got mine at catfish safari .com give them a look.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I agree with Scotty, I would not my rod and reel attached to my boat via PVC pipe. Just to big a risk and lost investment is the PVC were to fail.
    I am setting my newest boat up for both river and slack water fishing. I added DUO Pro Driftmaster all around the sides for slack water fishing. I am working on a 10 + folding rack for the back of the boat for river fishing. It will have a solid section in the middle of about 8 feet and two swing out section on the outside that will be about 18 inches and will have two more Driftmaster on each one. The center section will have 6-8 Driftmasters on it for a total of 10-12 Driftmasters across the very back and 20 around the sides of the boat. I know it is over kill but I would rather be able to move rods quickly from one side to another if i ever need to do so.

You should be able to find ideas for both styles of fishing in the library.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    David

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jon,
    First off Id like to welcome you to the BOC, Its full of knowledgeable people who are full of countless ideas. Now, about the rods holders, I found the kind I use from the BOC library that are made from PVC pipe. Myself and fellow BOC member Enfausen mounted those across the back of my boat on a 2X4 cutting the board at an angle matching the inside of the boat and being able to tap it in place with a light hammer. They work great with the whole deal being less than ten bucks.

Another manufactured holder that I think is hard to beat is the Atwood brand, they can be bought at any Walmart for about $12.00 per holder. If you go with these, they come with the side mount. Just mount the bases to a 2X4 and use C clamps to hold the board in place. A couple guys who fish with me do this and works great for the guy fishing out of the side of the boat. rspd507

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah don't waste your time fiddling around with PVC or any other home made rod holder. Go get your self some 1/2" driftmasters. Also unless Atwood comes in 1/2" I would not go with them either. That 3/8" stuff likes to bend to much.

11. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was going to go with something like the Driftmaster but the rail base on the sides of the boat are round on top instead of flat. Really bummed out about that. My good ole' friend gofish_tony has the flat rail on top so the driftmaster rod holders worked great for him.. Although I could go with c-clamp for rail base but not sure how that'll work out?

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm pretty sure driftmaster has a base with a round bottom to fit the round lip of a boat.

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They make several different types of mounts. Driftmasters are what I use and I love them. I have no fear of a rod leaving the boat due to a fish pulling one out of a rod holder. I have been drifting and a rod hang up and it will stop the boat or slip drag but the rod stays in place!!

14. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    202-b is the model# for the 1/2in. pro holders I put 14 of these bases on my 16ft. polarkraft and it has the round rail they work great!

15. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    You need to measure your rail and find out if they are 1" or 7/8 ". I carry both round rail models in driftmaster.

16. Julie - Tite Lok

Julie - Tite Lok New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tite Lok offers many rail mounts for round or square rails. The two attachments are our rail mounts that fits up to 1 1/4" rails. I know plenty of fishermen who use these so they can mount them anywhere on their boat. Our rod holders are completely adjustable to angles unlike the driftmasters. I also attached a spider rig so you could see that it just takes a couple of screws in the floor of your boat and you'll have 8 rod holders instead of 1 or 2.
    You can visit our website and you'll see many different arrangements you could have for your boat. I know we are a little higher in price than the driftmasters but you get what you pay for.
    Regardless of your decision....Happy fishing!
    Julie

Attached Files:

17. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    for that great advice. they are all good ideas, now I guess I'll have to figure which why i want to go. Going to check out these great ideas. Driftmasters has got the edge it seems.I dont plan on going out on the river for atleast 3 or 4 months. Unless that indian summer comes..

18. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Santee Specials are the best in my opinion. Give them a look, their way stronger than the drift master better design same prise.