Rod holder

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Jul 16, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just had to this, the wife and I were fishing in the Tn river the other night and we were catching a few fish, having a good time. So she says hey, hey, hey and then screams hey. I look and the rod in the front of the boat is getting jerked hard. It went once then twice then gone. I don't know what it was but it ripped the rod holder off the bolts, these weren't cheap junk either. There was nothing to do it was gone before I could get to it. I have caught many fish over 50's and 60's and never had a problems like this. Just had to share, now I have an excuse to go buy another rod and reel.

2. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Chris I know it was painful watching a rig go to the river at least it would be for me. Must have been Moby. Maybe some lucky angler will dredge it up one day and have a prize,

Cheez

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That sounds like that must have been a monster. Sorry that happened man, I know it had to be a bad feeling.Is your boat aluminum or fiberglass?

4. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Chris, That really stinks. I have had some experience with losing fish while tightlining. We have gotten to where we set our baitclickers and pull it up good and tight, just like tightlining, but ca`nt lose the rod or the fish. Wo`nt work for every situation but most (works better with circle hooks) Hey, I`m not second guessing you. I don`t know what yall were doing, just puttin out some help, I hope.
    I can remember every one of those Big ones that got away from me!!!

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Chris there is at least one big fish in the Tn river I know cause 5 years ago I hooked him up while bankfishing below the dam at Pickwick and that fish almost put me in the river,I got my feet wet before I stopped the run then the fish got hungup on a rock and pulled off.I have no idea what it weighted but I had it on a heavy rod,80lb line and I had the drag set very tight and it didn't slow it down any.

6. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man thats sucks it is a terrible feeling to see ur rod go in the water i know the feeling also.

7. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I can only imagine how exciting that must have been! That would have made me nervous as all get out! Reminds me of the scene in Jaws when the Capt. almost gets pulled in! lol

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I don't know if I am more sad about the rod or just losing the fish. I do know that I need to loosen my drag sometimes but I fish with circles so I like them to hook themselves. I have never had a problems before, I think he was just in a hurry or something. Hopefully someone will snag the rod before the reel rust up.

9. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Chris, Someone asked earlier if yer boat was alum or fiber. So which is it? I'm wondering because I'm thinking serious about getting some rod holders for my boat too. I have an all aluminum weld G3, and I think the only option I have is to bolt down to the aluminum rail around the side. I sure as heck don't want to mess up the boat by having some lunker tear up the aluminum. What type of rod holder by the way? Thanks.

10. TPD

TPD New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry to hear about that. I know how it feels to lose a rod and the big un. I had mine pulled into the river once and caught it later that night with a small cat still on the line.

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have an aluminum boat, I have to check on the brand of rod holders but from now on I will be using steel rod holders. I have a freind who works in a machine shop and he has made me a of my racks for the back of my boat I just need to get him to make the rest for the front and sides.