Rod holder

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by foodsaver, Apr 18, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have some driftmaster style rod holders and the flat 2 hole bases. I also have an aluminum jon boat. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to mount those bases to the round bills or should I bolt 2x4's down the side of the boat and mount to that? The problem I see with mounting the 2x4's is that it will be at an angle and I need them to be flat and level. For those of you with jon boats how have you mounted the driftmasters to your boat? Please don't refer me to the library as I have looked and didn't see anything that applied to this situation.
    Thanks
    Craig

Also does anyone know how I can donate a foodsaver to be given away in a contest?

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You can get mounting brackets for the driftmasters that fit round rails. I think Bass Pro Shops have them. Maybe check with the site sponsers to see if they can fix you up.

3. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well they are ones I bought off ebay and so they aren't driftmasters they are just like them though Im just not sure on the bases that came with the holders. they will work Im just curious about how others have used these type bases on these kind of boats in the past. Any pictures anyone has of their jon boat set up would be greatly appreciated!

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    If you have a table saw or know someone that has one you could cut the 2X4 at the proper angle to match your boat. That's what I did on mine.

5. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey I was wondering if you just bolted through the hull to mount your 2x4's?

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Yes, but only enough to get the job done. I didn't want any more holes than were needed.

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i welded some on a jon boat once for a old bossman. i took a piece of 1 1/2 inch alum angle 2 inches long and welded it to the inside of the boat and it was at a angle then i took the alum base that the rod holder screws into and layed it in the angle at the pos. i wanted the rod holders to stand and welded the base to the angle. the screw and unsrcew when you want them on or off.

8. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    driftmaster does make a base to fit your rails. just make sure you use a backing plate when you attach the nuts to the bolts or you will crush the rails.........take it from me i had this experiance

9. Don Miller

Don Miller New Member

State:
    NC
    I used washers as shims to make the bases level