Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting some of the monster rod holders what style would also work for trolling keep the rod tips lower for that and also work while anchored when I'm going for cat's

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I would suggest getting one of the models that allow for different angles to be used, it's been a while since I visited his page, but I think Mr. Douglas explains them very well. Good Luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks think I'm going to test the water with the 5-30 with the L/H thread for the left side of my boat

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,766 Posts
I am not fond of the 45 degree angle ones. Think the ones I have are 0 /30 as well. Dont hold me to that 30. There is also fish bite, and smackdown holders you can look at before you make your decision.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I have the Smackdown and like them. Never heard a complaint about Monster though either. Here is a good video of the Smackdown showing the versatility of the different angles.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
I have had the Fish Bite, Driftmaster and Monster rod holders. All in the two position style which I would recommend. I would also only recommend 1/2 rod stock. I have not used or seen the Smackdown.

If I were going to purchase more, I would get Monsters. The only style I would get is the Duo style that provides two rod positions. Monster rod holder offers, 5*/35 & 35*/45*

The original angles were 0*/33* and 33*/45*. I don’t know if any of those are still available. The change to 5*/35* and 35*/45* are current versions. 5* is easier to see when setting down in the boat suspending baits.

Now per the manufacturer, the 5* is for suspending baits, the 35* is for anchoring in current or with baits cast out and the 45 is for trolling.

Myself, I prefer the 5*/35* which I use for suspending, anchored and slow trolling.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,016 Posts
Do you guys put your rods that far in holders I use very end of handle lot easier to get out with bigger fish on

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
D, I have done both. On my Rippin Lips, I used my belt sander to all but got rid of the butt ball. But I do tend to go most of the way into the holder. I figure if the fish is pulling that hard, the holder is not a bad place for it. Provides a good test on your drag adjusting skills.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,766 Posts
It depends on what I am doing, or how much wave action, if the rods keep flipping over i put them all the way back in the holder, so the back of the reel holds against the front of the rod holder to keep the rod in the correct position. Otherwise i like to keep them out for ease of getting them out when hung or big fish.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I bury the rod handle in the holder with the reel touching the front part. My PB is only 62lb. so I don't have a great deal of experience getting the rods out with monster fish on. When the rod loads, I reach out to about the first eye and pull up while pushing down on the butt with the other hand. I have had problems while drifting and getting snagged with current, when that happens, I start loosening the star drag until I can get enough slack to free the rod from the holder. The majority of my fishing is free drifting and dragging other methods may require different positioning.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,657 Posts
I might add that the Monster duo position holders are fully enclosed in the handle section. This adds a 3rd position on them. If you lay the rod to the side of the fork on the holder it will lay almost flat, angled to the side a little. You can see Steve Douglas use them in this position a lot when drifting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts