Rod holder setups

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tcain24, Jan 11, 2009.

1. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    Would like to see some pictures of your rod holder setups including trolling bars that may be homemade. Any ideas on making a setup to span the back of the boat would be great and or locations to buy the outfit would also help.

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Timmy this is a great post. I'm looking for some ideas! Lets see some......

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    First off, Welcome to the BoC Timmy. You will love it here.
    Here is a link to the library where there are lots of rod racks and rod holders for a boat. There are some good ones.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576
    I am in the process of building something for my jon boat with a fellow brother. If I think about it I will post some pics.

4. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'm using the PVC method with some mods to build one for my jon boat too, I just need to finish it, I'll post pics for you when I'm done though. My idea was to make a removable rod holder that could also be put in different places. The main premise is you have small mounts postitioned in different places on the boat, and the whole setup can drop into the mounts

5. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I got this idea from this forum. I have $40 in them including paint. I painted them camo to match my G3 paint job. Here are a couple pics, not mine but this is what they look like. One thing nice if you fish from shore you could even use it there too. (Flat shore line) Nice post! Thanks! Tim

Attached Files:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Great idea ,how about some ideas for the ones with a tiller motor on a jon boat.

7. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    John, I would think you would just need to get some PVC and some joints. Tape measure etc. and build it. Don't glue it together until you have it the way you want it. Whats nice about this type of rod holder is you could put in the front of the boat if it gets in the way while steering the tiller style motor. Once you get to your fishing spot plop in in place and fish away! Good Luck, Tim

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here is my home built set up on my jon.

Attached Files:

9. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Barry, very nice job, do you fish six rods? I bet that gets hecktic at times, LOL. Is that steel or aluminum? Thanks for the pic, Tim

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is the one I had tig welded. Its made from aluminum hand rail.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Rob, is it welded to your boat? What kind of boat do you have? I have a G3 1756 in camo. I want to do something like that but wanted to try a temp thing out before commiting. Do you fish rivers or lakes? Do you use a drift sock to control your boat? Thanks fro the post and pic, Tim

12. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its not welded to my boat. It has plates on the four legs with four self drilling screws in each plate. Its on a 2072 Seaark and I mainly fish river systems with current. Anchor the front and fish out of the back. I got into drift fishing last year(wind blown lake, no current) where i used a drift sock off the back of the boat and still fished out of the back and it worked great.

13. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Thanks, for the info! I didn't know about those boats before I bought mine. But I love my boat! Take-Care, Tim

14. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Good lookin set up there Tim,liked the way ya tied in to the seat,cant leave the boat under power,,yeah ya look on the library,its full of ideas on rod holders for the boat the docks and the bank,plenty to choose from and easy and cheap to make..

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its 1" aluminum box tube, the base is 2 1/2" aluminum angle, all tig welded. I mounted 2 aluminum base plates to the boat with countersunk ss screws, that are matched drilled and tapped to match the rack base so its removable. It also has 2 strut bars that run from the top bar back to the transom, not shown in pic. Its rock solid.
    6 rods, 2 people, no problem, LOL.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just posted this today on the SC section:

Well folks, I'm tired of bending over my gas cans to reach my rear rods. I'm going to fabricate a trolling bar to accommodate 5 rods across the rear. Also, I will still have three rod holders on each side of the boat. I'm going to rig it up where the rods are just over waist high, for easy access and comfort. I'm going to construct the "legs" out of one inch steel tubing, and then saddle the top of the tubing to accept a one inch steel pipe that will serve as the rod holder support. I will put one brace on each side angling towards the rear, for support. The legs will have "feet" made of one inch flat bar, to be bolted to my square aluminum top rail. I will then have the whole bolt on assembly powder coated for durability. I will document the process with photos. I hope to start gathering materials very soon.

Bill in SC

17. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Her is a pic of the back side of my pontoon with the trolling bar across the back,its just a piece of 2" aluminum angle turned up with supports underneath,the rod holder mounts are 3/8 threaded rod with a 3/8 coupling and nuts,then the rod holder screws in to that,very sturdy and easy to remove if need be.

Attached Files: