Rod holder set ups?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by McLovin, Dec 19, 2009.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of set ups do you guys have for your rod holders? I'm going to use driftmaster rod holders, and I want to situate it so I can fish off the back of the boat, I just wanted to see how some of you guys have your boats set up,
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Here's how mine are set up. I made the rack they're mounted to out of aluminum and welded thick flatstock that I drilled and tapped to take the rod holders on the bottom side. I welded 3 driftmaster bases on each side of the boat towards the bow as well.

Attached Files:

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are some pictures of my rod holders. I was told that having someone make it for me out of aluminum would have been easily $ 200. I made this for approximately $120. Not including the cost of the rod holders themselves. I used handles to make it easier to remove when not in use. This seams to work really well. Hope this helps.
    $30 each for the two bases installed by a boat dealer =60
    $10 each for the seat bases =20
    $10? for the 2x8 =10
    $5? for the handles =10
    $10 for the lacquer =10
    $ 5-10 in hardware =10
    approx $120

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    For some reason it isn't letting me upload the pics. I'll put them in my albums.

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My setup is about the same as Opposum's using a 2x8. I have to give Steve Brown credit for helping me out on it. Works great and is easy to take out when not needed. Chris

6. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 2x8 is along the lines of what I was thinking. I really like BKS set up too. I'm not sure what we'll do with it. Thanks for the ideas guys! I really appreciate it.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    John, I'm not sure where you're at but I'm happy to make one for you if you want to drag the boat over one of these days. I think I've got $40 in mine since I used scrap aluminum and did the welding myself. It'll take longer to get the material than it will for me to make it up. Since I'm happy to work for cold beer your material costs will be the biggest part of it:smile2:

Attached is a pic of one I did for a buddy's boat. We used aluminum pipe for the rod holders since he didn't have his driftmaster's yet.

Attached Files:

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Here is link to the thread showing the one I made using 1 1/2 aluminum bar stock.I also used structial aluminum fitting by the de-sta-co Co.I just drilled and tapped the top bar the rest is simply cut and install.I did custom make the bases on a lathe, but you can buy them as well from McMaster Carr Co.The Monster rod holders look good on here as well.Good Luck
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126302

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dennis, that's slick looking man!

10. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Branden, Thanks for the offer, but that'd be a long way to haul my big ol heavy boat. I live outside of Bolivar, which is about 25 minutes north of Springfield. I may try to weld me up one like yours in the next week or so to see how it goes.

11. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    mine are ajustable heights or i take off the two ajustmest pegs and it will mount flat also the way it is fixed it is very sturdy

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h

13. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    There are several ways to do it. I used a piece of 2x2 angle and welded 1/2 nuts where you want the holders. Then screw in the driftmaster rod holders.

Attached Files:

14. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    ill try to post the pic of my holders

15. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    cant get it done

16. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Here is a pic of mine. I was lucky to have a friend who had scrap aluminum pipe and angle that we used to make it with. He also knows how to weld:big_smile:.

The rod holders are driftmaster. The set up works well for me since we fish the Missouri. I have since added rod holders around the sides of the boat...great for fishing lakes!

Good luck in your quest!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=874&pictureid=7605

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, my first one was made out of steel but then I bought my MIG and needed something to practice on so I built a new rack out of aluminum:big_smile:

18. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Hey buddy call me if you think I can help you post the pics.

19. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow guys, thanks for all the ideas. I've got something in mind now, and I may try to get it built this week. Do any of you guys use Monster Rod Holders? I'm thinking about putting in an order for 6 of their double action rod holders...any input?

20. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    they have some monster rod holders coming out in jan called triple play. check them out at catfishsyndicate.com